Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Rendering of the Month - Congratulations Francois

Karl Ottenstein
Just came across the September Rendering of the Month page ...
http://www.graphisoft.com/community/gallery/

Congratulations to Francois Chatelain for a fantastic collection of photorealistic images. Beautiful work!!

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
18 REPLIES 18
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Francois - nice to see you're still leading the way with your renderings! They are all incredible - I think it's high time for your US tour! This kind of work is the stuff the 'average guy' like me dreams about!

Keep up the good work and I hope all is well.

Cheers mate,
Link.
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Karl wrote:
I like the story, Thomas. 😉 But seriously, I think the dogs-eye view in that image adds drama (and emphasizes some very nice textures and lighting effects) to a room that might look rather plain and boring if viewed from a 'normal' human viewpoint. I like it! What do you all think?

Karl
I think that they are really nice. His eye for detail is really good.
I have seen so many renderings were people have nailed the lighting and texturing, but the actual model, well seems to be missing something.

I mean look at the bed head he has some really nice subtle bevels happening the whole way around the bed head. This is what I mean when I say that he as an eye for detail. A small bevel on an edge adds to the over all reality of the final image.

Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

the hotel room pic was commissioned, along with a couple of other views (lobby and external shot of the entry), for a Hotel competition down in Tasmania.
Timeframe about 3-4 days to produce the views, and the shot of the room was based on a photo in some design magazine.
I'll show you the other renders in a following post.
As for the bevels, whenever I have to generate a close-up view, I do add detail to my models. I have developped a serie of simple library parts, basically parametric cubes with bevels on different sides, which I apply to the relevant part of the model. Usually as a 2-3mm thick skin.
I use those same objects as window frames in my radiosity renders. Because radiosity engines don't like polygons with holes in them, I can't use straight windows from the libraries, I have to model each one seperately by manually assembling the various parts of the frame and the glass. It's good fun. And then I usually get carried away and start adding the tracks for sliding windows and so on 😉
But hey, it's all for a good cause...
Hooroo
Francois
Thomas Holm
Booster
Sure! I do like this image. It triggers my fantasy! I am serious, really. It is one of the best, in this one the interior is lit in a way that looks more realistic than in the others. If you compare the different ceilings I think you see what i mean.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Thomas,

that hotel room shot is also one of my favourite interiors view. This is due to the fact that I had more control over the final product than in the oher ones where I had to satisfy the client, his employees, the interior designers, the architect, the maketing people and finally the graphic designers for the brochure. That's a lot of input one has to deal with.
Anyway, here's a full res close-up of that same render, showing the effect of bump maps and so on. To this day I still don't know why this particular view came up that good 😉
Cheers
Francois
Thomas Holm
Booster
To this day I still don't know why this particular view came up that good
Just the self-evident combination of eye-catching detail and realistic lighting!

(I wish it were that self-evident to me as well)

Thomas
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
I like it! What do you all think?

Karl

Having known François for a few ArchiYears now, I have seen the steady development of an artist. Every image strives to present a photo-realistic image with a view angle that helps the eye appreciate the design intent. The architects and developers must love his work because he is always under the gun with project after project. No time to appreciate your new beach front view, right?

Congratulations François, now would you please tell us the key combo for that wicked ç in your name????

Anonymous
Not applicable
Burginger wrote:
Karl wrote:
I like it! What do you all think?

Karl
No time to appreciate your new beach front view, right?

Congratulations François, now would you please tell us the key combo for that wicked ç in your name????

Hi Mark,
ArchiYears, I like that new measure of time 😉
I've lost my beautiful ocean view a year ago now Had to move out as the owners wanted to move back in, very sad indeed.
ç = option+c on the Mac
Hope you're not threatened by the fires around your area.
Cheers
Franoptioncois
Anonymous
Not applicable
Great work, Francois! Those are some fantastic images. Makes all the renderings that I've done (which isn't many) look like cartoons.

I agree with you, Karl. I like the perspective on that particular image. I think it adds a little more drama to the rendering. Forces the viewer to see it from a different point of view. IMHO, there are too many renderings that are done from a 'canned' perspective. I know that you have to shoot for realism in presentation images but if you try some off-the-wall view points it adds a little more 'oomph' to what can be an otherwise boring showcase. Just my 2 cents.

Scott

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!