BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Renovation Filter, Composite Walls and AC 17

Brad Elliott
Booster
In the previous versions of AC I was able to set my renovation filters without losing my composite wall set up. So I was able to show a new wall with sheathing and veneer and have it show those composite features with a new fill. I used this to replace my old method of having identical composite walls but with different fill patterns.
So now in AC 17 we have our building materials instead of fills which makes it doubly hard to have duplicate walls. So I am trying to apply the renovation filters. However the renovation filters are wiping out the composites and only showing a block. Have I lost Composite wall renovation filter capability? Showing new construction without the composite wall is worthless. Do I have to duplicate building materials with new fills? That seems like trouble.

The other problem I'm having is that even though the override cut fill pens setting is turned off the pens still read through so they are actually on all the time. This is a nasty bug that has actually been around for a while. It has just moved with the new format.
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro
7 REPLIES 7
Brad Elliott
Booster
Since I have had no replies from anyone including Graphisoft here is an image of the window. The heavy wall lines shown in black are what I am unable to change.
M1 Macbook Pro
Anonymous
Not applicable
No direct answer, but I do notice your 'plan symbol background fill pen' is set to either 'window[-1]' or ';transparent[0]', does setting it to white, cover over the offensive lines?

[EDIT] I have tried to replicate your problem but can not. Can you be more specific in terms of what renovation style you are using, what the renov status of the window is and the the filter for the view? At best I can get the outlines of the composite wall to show through the window sill - those are under the wall contour line in the window 'general settings'. But I can not get the two interior faces of your outer skins to show up.

You say the renovation filters wipe out the composite - but your image shows all the relevant composite skins. What is being wiped out?

I also don't understand your comment about not being able to have duplicate composite walls. Further why would you need duplicate walls in this context. Is your image showing two walls stacked one on the other?

Are you on the latest hotfix?
Brad Elliott
Booster
Mark,
Thanks for your reply, I'd almost given up hope. I guess people aren't using the renovation filter.
I actually want the composite lines to show. I just don't want them to show in the heavy black line that is pen no. 1. What I have done is place an existing window and set its renovation status as to be demolished. Then in new construction I have set it to override. I can change the no 1 pen to change the lines but that doesn't seem like the proper solution.
M1 Macbook Pro
Brad Elliott
Booster
And here is the Override Style.
M1 Macbook Pro
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was able to reproduce your imagery and after looking into some variations and workarounds, I can find no good way of producing your desired linework without getting complicated. A patch may be the inelegant answer.

How odd that the renovation overrides don't include a way of controlling the composite wall skin lines. Even more odd that demo lines inside the "vacant" window show up as bold cut lines.

It is interesting that in the line override, the doors and window in a wall are addressed but the wall they reside in is not.

At any rate, it looks buggy to me. Sorry I could not be of any help. Hopefully a more veteran member will chime in.

Mark
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
We do use the Renovation Filter all the time, but there are other forces at work…

I'm not sure if I can speak to the whole question, but we had a similar problem with the window sill lines coming out too heavy. I don't think it has anything to do with the Renovation Filter, which only changes the color.

You would think that the sill line setting is in the Window settings, right? Only if the window is shown as a Symbol. However, if you're using Model View Option > Options for Construction Elements > Window Options > Show Opening Only (as you might for a Site Plan or Reflected Ceiling Plan MVO), then it just draws 2 lines, and ignores the Window settings.

These lines, in that case, are taken from the Wall settings > Floor Plan and Section > Outlines > Uncut Line Pen. Essentially, it assumes you're just looking at the edge of the wall. Unfortunately, this is the same setting used to show wall outlines in elevations and other 3D views, so it's a balance between a light line you want in plan, and a heavy line you want in elevation.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Yep. Because of the inability to control WHAT the existing opening is infilled WITH, we use the old work-around of placing a new wall in an empty opening.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Learn and get certified!