BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Renovation filter, new opening on demo plan

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have my existing conditions drawings complete. Then I want to demo walls, doors, etc. In the process of adding new openings to existing walls I see that the new opening will show up on my demo plan, but I cannot get the demo fill to show up for new openings the same way that the demo walls show up. I also (but related issue) can only seem to get the demo fill to show up if I use a building material with the demo fill. Trying to override the demo fill will only give me solid fills, no vectorial fills. Wish I could explain it more clearly.
8 REPLIES 8
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am assuming the new opening is created with the Simple Door Opening object. Is this object's Renovation Status set to "New"?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's not an empty opening, it's a pair of doors, and yes it is set to 'new'. This is in AC 18, just to clarify.
DGSketcher
Legend
Rather than use a simple opening have you considered using a new piece of wall marked for demolition and use SEO to form the opening?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
rippledesign:

It works here. In your 1st screen shot, you are showing the Renovation Override Style for New Elements (which are hidden in your 02 Demolition Plan renovation filter), not Elements to be Demolished, the Fill Type needs to be set there.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have noticed something that I consider an inconsistency.

What I noticed is that Reno Filter overrides are not applied to a fill background if the Cut fill background pen of a Basic structure (meaning non-composite and non-complex profile) is set to 0 (transparent) or -1 (background). And if we check in the Building Materials Dialog we find that the Cut fill background pen of every default ARCHICAD Building Materials is -1 or 0.
However, in case of composite and complex structures the Cut fill background pen is overridden. But this is kind of inconsistent because every skin of a Composite and every component of a Complex Profile is made up of those same Building Materials.
So if Composites and Complex profiles are overridden, then so should be Basic structures.
See attached image.
RenovationFilterOverride.png
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
David thanks for pointing that out. However even switching the demo settings doesn't get what I was after.

I've had a hard time describing my intent, but basically I'm wanting to have any portion of any wall that will be demolished to show up the same. So any entire wall, or portion of wall, and any part of a wall that will become a new opening should show up with the same fill. However new openings placed in an existing wall to remain can't seem to be overridden as technically they are hidden in my demo renovation filter. Does that clarify at all.

I think my workaround at this point is to use a solid fill for all the overrides, then I can get a consistent fill amongst all demo parts (I'll post again with my solution - just to show).

Laszlo, my issue doesn't appear to have anything to do with backgrounds, but that is an interesting discovery.

In the end I'm not sure it's that big of a deal, and may not be something that many people are looking to do.
renovation wdw1.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is my 'workaround'. So imagine this, but using a demo fill instead of solid.

Cheers to Fridays
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't know what the actual underlying issue is, but this seems to be an issue with files we've created from our own template. When I open a brand new archiCAD 18 (still haven't switched) and I use the base template created by Graphisoft I can get exactly the results I want. So I'll be rebuilding our template from scratch which should take care of this issue as well as my line/fill/layer issue. Appreciate everyones comments and responses, it made me look at it differently.
Cheers!
Learn and get certified!