BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Renovation filters and pen thickness of openings

Durval
Enthusiast
In the attached image we see two walls with exactly the same settings, except for the Renovation Status, which is 'To Be Demolished' for the first and 'Existing' for the second one.

In the second wall, I inserted a Simple Door Opening, whose Renovation Status is 'New'.

Thus, the fill and colors of the 'Existing' wall in the portion where the opening is placed matches the 'To Be Demolished' fill and colors, which is great (a new opening in an existing wall is actually a demolition).

The problem is the pen weight/thickness. Why the contour of the opening is thicker than the contour of the completely demolished wall??

AFAIK, Renovation Overrides do not change pen thicknesses. So I tried to figure out where these thicknesses comes from. Tried to change all pens in the wall settings and door settings, but none of them seems to change this thickness.

Any clue??
--- www.dtabach.com.br ---
AC 24 BR – MacBook Pro 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB RAM Mac OS 10.14
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Durval,
go to option->element attributes->renovation overrides style....
Here you will find line type and pen for each of the filters.
Durval
Enthusiast
Thank you for your reply, Ilder.
Only the color of the pens you choose in Renovation Overrides Style are considered. The pen weights are not affected by these settings, they are read from somewhere else. I thought it would be from the elements' settings, but, as I told, I changed the pens for the wall and the opening and nothing seems to change the pen weight of the demolished part of the 'existing' wall.
So I still do not know how to change these weights.

Ilder wrote:
Hi Durval,
go to option->element attributes->renovation overrides style....
Here you will find line type and pen for each of the filters.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Durval:

The issue you are describing was discussed here: Renovation Override and lineweights.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Durval
Enthusiast
I finally figured out which pens are determining the pen weights that show in the "To be demolished" status.

It's kind of tricky.

Each of the Composite walls in my example reads the pen weight from different sources.

The first one – entire wall "To be demolished" – reads the pen weight from the out most contour pen defined in the Composite Settings (actually it reads all countour, but only the out most matters, because the other are hidden below the overwritten fill).

The second one – a "New" opening in an "Existing" wall (i.e., the "To be demolished" portion of the wall)– reads the pen weight from Floor Plan and Section > Cut Surfaces > Cut Line Pen.

But you don't have direct access to the Cut Line Pen setting, because it is a composite wall. So you have to change the wall to Basic (instead of Composite), change the Cut Line Pen, hit OK, then edit the wall again and change it back to Composite!
Learn and get certified!