BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Renovation tool issues with existing roof and new roof trimming.

Rob Hancox
Booster

The problem I have with the Renovation Tool is that on some “real world” tasks like putting in a pediment to an existing project becomes such a difficult aspect to model for a client.  Here’s an example.  In this project the house is getting a complete make-over with a considerable rear extension, significant room changes and layout changes to provide a better ‘flow’ through the house in addition to uprating the thermal U values and bringing a 1926 house with 3-4 major shoddy extensions into high spec reform.  This is a classic “Renovation” project.  Most of the ‘renovation’ tool features work ok, but there are one or two that completely fox me.  Perhaps I’m doing something wrong but I’ll try and explain the issue and hopefully someone can either correct the errors of my ways, or perhaps it is just a feature that isn’t yet resolved by Graphisoft.

So, here’s a snap of the existing house with an old window.  We want to insert a pediment above a new window with art stone inserts.  The window is no problem with the renovation tool.

RobHancox_0-1650620162159.jpeg

So, step 1 is to ‘demolish’ the old window and ‘propose’ the new window type and opening, as Archicad ‘fills in’ the old window opening and creates a new opening for the new window element.

Next step is to place the ‘proposed’ pediment roof above the window.  So far, so good.

RobHancox_1-1650620162160.jpeg

Then I need to cut the ‘existing’ roof to allow the ‘existing wall’ to meet and be cut by the new pediment.  Great stuff, all looks good. However……..

RobHancox_2-1650620162161.jpeg

If I now select the “Existing” filter in the Renovation Tool my ‘existing’ roof has obviously been chopped along with the ‘new’ built up wall that is also cut by the future ‘proposed’ pediment.  So frustrating.

RobHancox_3-1650620162163.jpeg

Is there a way around this or a fix in the offering from Graphisoft perhaps?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Rob

AC26 UK • iMac 24" M1 • MacBook Pro 1.4GHz | 8 gb ram • OSX13 Ventura
13 REPLIES 13

Rob:

Thanks for adding your profile.

David

David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14

@Rob Hancox The line artefacts can be a problem without precise alignment, but if everything matches the surfaces should blend together.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Hi David,

I went back to your idea of cutting a section of the existing roof out, then adding the section to be demolished again. i.e. simulate a “real world” chop a piece out scenario and rechecked the line artefacts again.  Actually this is a better method in terms of retaining the correct process flow for documentation etc as demonstrated below.  Again, many thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

Existing

RobHancox_0-1650976373268.jpeg

To Be Demolished

RobHancox_1-1650976373273.jpeg

After Demolition

RobHancox_2-1650976373274.jpeg

Proposed Highlighted

RobHancox_3-1650976373275.jpeg

Proposed Over Demolition

RobHancox_4-1650976373276.jpeg

Proposed

RobHancox_5-1650976373277.jpeg

Thanks,

Rob

AC26 UK • iMac 24" M1 • MacBook Pro 1.4GHz | 8 gb ram • OSX13 Ventura

Rob:

I prefer to have no duplicate elements, so I think this is best. You have posted a clear set of illustrations, thanks.

David

David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Learn and get certified!