Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Renovation - window hole/niche issue

username2021
Contributor

Hi

I have a problem with placing the window in place of an old one. They are both different shapes and sizes. In order to make an existing window hole (or rather niche) I had to create a morph that would substract the wall with the solid element operations. Both the old window and the morph are labeled as to be demolished. The new window is labeld as new element.

When I choose an existing plan filter, everything looks fine, but in new contruction one the wildow hole (morph) can be seen and it cuts through the new window. The old window is not visible tho.

BTW the window is placed between the stories, so there's also an empty window opening in the story below needed.

Is there any way to make it work?

I'm using AC 25 POL

existing interior - window with hole highlighted.pngnew construction interior - new window highlighted.pngexisting exterior - window with hole highlighted.pngnew construction exterior - new window highlighted.png
3 REPLIES 3
julienK
Advocate

Use the opening tool to create the niche

The problem is that if I use the opening tool I cannot place additional window in it. 😣 It works with niche hidden in window tool, but unfortunately there's only rectangular or kind of half-dome-vaulted one. I need the niche to look like the one made with the opening tool (first in the picture).
The only two ways I figured out to make it work is to either create a morph tool and substract the wall (but then it shows in the new construction filter) or make niche with the opening tool, then place the window in it and additional opening in size of the window (both window and opening labeled as to be demolished), then place another window with another opening labeled new construction (whitch is pain in the...)

printscreen.png

username2021
Contributor

If somebody's curious how I dealed with it - I made few custom niches (just like you make custom window or opening), then placed in the wall, adjusted a little bit to the existing sizes (the arch radius cannot be changed, that's why I needed few niches) and then placed the window in it. It worked in both cases - the niche stays as existing and only the window is replaced as well as both niche and window are demolished and the new window comes in their place.

The solution is quite time-consuming, but at least it works. I still don't know how to make niche with changing depth on one side tho...