BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

!Restored: Cinema 4D CE 6

Karl Ottenstein
Ola wrote:
I purchased Cinema 4D 8.2 and was wondering what the best way to export from Archicad and workflow. How does the rendering time vs result compare to Artlantis. Just purchased Piranesi also, I believe you can create a Epix file directly in C4D now

thanks
Lots of new toys! 😉

I only have C4D XL 7 - so AFAIK, there I have to use 3DS and Vedute to go into Piranesi. Nice if 8.2 allows it directly.

3DS format works well from AC to C4D. See various notes and comments in the archives at:

http://www.escribe.com/software/archicadtalk/

and there are also some good comments at:

http://www.fred-speaks.com/phpBB2/index.php

Some of those guys will hopefully re-post their comments here with some nice screenshots of the parameter settings dialogs (hint, hint).

As for speed, comparing C4D and Artlantis is difficult because C4D can do so much more than Artlantis, particularly as far as lighting goes...if you have the "Advanced Render" module (or the XL package). For comparable quality on a fast computer, I don't know that you'd see the difference. With a dual processor, C4D wins since Artlantis won't use the other processor. As soon as you use a radiosity solution, C4D will start to slow down (the race depends on your parameters and number of processors - or even network rendering, and option there and not with Artlantis) - but the results will astound you compared to Artlantis 'global illumination'.

[For example: if the C4D 8.2 CD contains some of the same sample scenes as XL7... look for a folder called 'Radiosity-LIght'. There's a JPG there ("Light") that is a wonderful demonstration of lighting effects that C4D can do and Artlantis cannot even come close to. Load the sample scene file in C4D and render it as a sample of how long such a thing takes on your computer. Not bad at all on mine. I've attached a cropped section of that image for others to see here ... image copyright Maxon Computer I should imagine.]

Including human time, Artlantis is a no-brainer IMHO - wins hands down for quick renderings.

Even if you cannot create the EPix file in C4D ... you can create the file in AC or Artlantis, then render the (same sized) image in C4D and finally import that image as the new Save RGB channel in Piranesi. Mix and match.

Have fun!

Karl

maxon-light.jpg
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
124 REPLIES 124
Karl Ottenstein
Burginger wrote:
Hey Everyone!

MacAddict December edition has a full copy of Cinema$D - uh I mean Cinema 4D CE 6 --- FREE ----

Render limitation 640 x 400, but full featured and it imports all existing Cinema 4D files. This is a great way to get started with Cinema 4D. I downloaded my example file and rendered it in 35 sec. on my wife's G4 eMAC.

Cool, and it comes with a 400+ page manual in PDF form. You now have no excuse to give this program a whirl.

Mark Burginger
Cool, Mark. Does CE 6 have radiosity? ... one of the main reasons IMHO to use C4D (not that their material model isn't extremely sophisticated). I thought radiosity was introduced in XL7, but that's only a dim memory of something someone said somewhere...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Radiosity was introduced in 7, but there was a plugin for 6 that faked it... i think it is softRadiosity. You can also fake radiosity in it with a dome of lights. I'll try to dig uo my old version of Cinema to put together a sample on faking Radiosity. Either that or show how to.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have asked Maxon if it is also available for Windows users. It seems that a UK magazine has released it last month on their magazine CD.

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=18181&subsectionid=841&subsubs...

Mark
Anonymous
Not applicable
Special Offer to ArchiCAD-TALK discussion group members,
Direct from Maxon here in Southern California.

(Quote)

We can definitely supply a windows version.

Paul

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Babb
MAXON Computer, Inc.
2640 Lavery Ct. Suite A
Newbury Park, CA 91320
paul@maxon.net
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
What sort of special offer are we talking about here?

James.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable
stefan
Expert
FWIW, the first part of my tutorial is made in this Cinema4D CE version. It is available for PC or Mac, but only with certain magazines. The free magazine version can be upgraded to a Cinema4D CE+ version, which removes the render-size limit.

Radiosity & SLA-shaders are not included.

The SoftRadiosity plugin was a possibility, but it doesn't exist anymore. Maybe on some old magazine CD's but not on the net anymore.

The SLA-shaders existed for R6 but not free.

AFAIK, the CE version is just that: a free/cheap version to use, but to have all the support and upgrades etc... you need to upgrade to R8.5 At least, there is some discount to upgrade from this "free" version.

---

That said, the CE-version is very capable and the more experience the less you need radiosity.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Given that there are a quite a few people following this thread - and we are about to 'reinvest' in presentation software (and currently have several choices) I would be very interested in comments on the recommendation between;

a) wait for the 500$ (??) archilumos add-on
b) get a free copy of c4d version 6
c) get a 100$ copy of c4d version 7
d) get a 700$ vanilla copy of c4d 8.5
e) get a 1500$ copy of c4d 8.5 xl
f) get a 1600$ (?) lightwave 7.5

We don't do an awful lot of high-quality presentations - yet - but ArtLantis is mebbe (!) some of the reason for this ... when we do produce 'good' work we want to produce 'very good' work, however. Am prepared to invest learning time!

TIA - Stuart
Anonymous
Not applicable
Been talking with Maxon about C4D and they are pushing Xfrog. Can anyone comment on it? Is it "must have" or not very useful?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have tried the demo, and it is usefull for organic modeling/procedural modeling.

I would say that to get nice trees from it, you have to buy some pre-made trees. You can then look at thoses to see how they are made. They are high polygon = long render time. I am a big fan of the Exterior trees. Loy polygon trees with very good texture maping. They are very convincing.

XFrog takes alot of effort to get looking nice, and you are probably looking for the best return on time vs quality. If you do get Cinema, XFrog has a fully functional 15 (could be 30... can't remember) day demo. Always best to check it out before you buy. It may even work with the demo of Cinema.

I am passing on XFrog myself.
Learn and get certified!