BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

!Restored: Is this multiprocessor support?

Anonymous
Not applicable
AC12 was advertised as the first BIM to support multiprocessoring!
So I gave it a try in rendering - LW with best for all settings!

Alas, it looks like AC11!
17 REPLIES 17
Djordje
Ace
Did you try updating a layout with eight elevations?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
No, you still have to drop the anti-aliasing down one notch from best to get all cores working!

I've noticed it doesn't even use one core fully using 'best' anti-aliasing!

Thankfully, it doesn't make a huge difference to the rendering quality, but I agree, it is a strange feature not to include in the multicore update.
Karl Ottenstein
Peter wrote:
No, you still have to drop the anti-aliasing down one notch from best to get all cores working!

I've noticed it doesn't even use one core fully using 'best' anti-aliasing!

Thankfully, it doesn't make a huge difference to the rendering quality, but I agree, it is a strange feature not to include in the multicore update.
Graphisoft is not the author of the Lightworks rendering engine. This behavior (single core when on 'best') has been reported numerous times in the forums. Whether Lightworks has a newer engine that GS could license is another story / question...

For details on what settings affect Lightworks, see:
http://www.archicadwiki.com/LightWorks

As Djordje says, if you want to see multiprocessor support from Graphisoft, generate some complex elevations, go into the 3D window, etc... 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dwight
Newcomer
With all due respect, "Best" anti-aliasing makes a significant difference in render quality.

Fine patterned surface textures in smaller renderings are better defined using "Best," altho it is not the "best" for defining edges. An example is a brick texture map. Or paisley. Less moire and less crumble. And "Best" eliminates "texture squirm" in animations.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
With all due respect, "Best" anti-aliasing makes a significant difference in render quality...
I've clearly never bothered to wait long enough to notice the difference!

After a quick test I can see it does increase texture clarity and lessens moire significantly as you say, it's just horrendously slow!
Dwight
Newcomer
Swell.
When not using the top quality anti-alias, I discovered that granite surfaces squirm like a pile of garter snakes during mating season when rendered in an animation.
Very creepy.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
As for LightWorks licensing, the implementation problem is solely with Graphisoft.

This is what LightWorks might have been in Archicad:

http://www.lightwork.com/products/overview.htm
Dwight Atkinson
__archiben
Booster
kliment wrote:
AC12 was advertised as the first BIM to support multiprocessoring!
the full details are here...
http://www.archicadwiki.com/Multiprocessing?highlight=%28%5C%5C+ArchiCAD%5C+12%29

incidentally, lightworks has always supported multi-processing, except on "Best" where only one processor can be used. this is has been known and discussed many times before.

cheers
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Dwight
Newcomer
Yes, as tedious as it seems, this IS an implementation problem for users looking to make passable animations because they will need the best anti-aliasing function to smooth surfaces and prevent mating snake attack as said below.

So, just when we need maximum productivity - to make numerous animation frames - it gets slow. AAAArgh!!!!
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!