Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Roof Plan Representation: 2D lines or roofs?

EH21
Booster
How do you like to draw roof plans? Do you use the roof element and fill in the roof planes with a solid fill, or do you do 2D line work (or is there a 3rd option)? I am trying to reduce the 2D line work and be more efficient, but even in 3D in the case of a very complex roof with several levels and dormers, it is very cumbersome to try to get all the roofs in the correct "display order" to make it appear as you would see it from top-down.

I also like to indicate where roofs overlap with a dashed line showing where there is roof below...any recommendations?

Thanks!
ArchiCAD: AC26, Version 4024 USA Full (Apple Silicon)
Computer: 2022 Apple M1 Max, 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64 GB memory
2 REPLIES 2
Jeff Griffin
Enthusiast
I typically use 3D Document for developing Roof Plans. This method won't create the dashed lines (for roofs below) like you're trying to achieve. As far as I'm aware, those would have to be drawn with 2D lines or polylines.
iMac 27 (2020) 3.8 GHz Core i7; 128 GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB GPU (macOS Sonoma)
MacBook Pro M1 Max; 64 GB RAM; 32-Core GPU (macOS Ventura)
ArchiCAD 27/26/25 Full (latest builds). User since AC12 (2008).
jl_lt
Ace
Hi! How about doing yet another 3d document, with the same view of the roof, with a layer combination only showing said roofs, and with the hidden line option activated. Then you overlap the views in layout. Sounds like a hassle, but this way you might get the roof view with the hidden line in an automatic way.