Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Roof Surface only partly showing in Section - Roof Accessory Standing Seam

Rene Pahlavan
Enthusiast
Looking for some help to figure out why a whole plane of standing seam roof surface is missing in section view - while other planes are showing up fine in the same section. The missing plane is visible in all other views (3D, elevation, etc.) but only just missing in section. Really perplexed as to why this is happening. All the standing seam roof surfaces are on the same layer and all other settings the same (renovation settings also checked).

Does anyone know why this could be happening? First screen-shot is the section. Second is the same angle but elevation. Third is the 3d view.
AC27 (Apple Silicon)

macOS Sonoma 14.1.2.

MBP M3 Max (16-inch 2023)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear all,

After many attempts, I managed to replicate the issue on my end. The issue arises with the following process:
- Draw a Multi-plane roof
- Make 2 opposite sides into Gable type
- Split the roof into 2 Single-plane roofs
- Apply the Roof Surfacer object

As Ling suggested, the seam position depends on the Roof's origin and direction of the pivot line, therefore in this case, the seam does not align perfectly. For some reason, in section/elevation, this can make one side of the roof surface disappear.

To get around this issue, I suggest creating the roof using single-plane option. Make sure to input the same direction when drawing the pivot line of the roof.

I believe the "missing surface" in section comes from the addon itself, unfortunately, Goodies are based on legacy code which GRAPHISOFT does not support anymore.

Thank you very much for your understanding, and I am very sorry for the inconvenience!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
RandyC
Advocate
I have had the same problem, windows , no reason for this behavior that i have found
Erasing troublesome cladding and redoing sometimes fixes it.
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Do you have a Section with a limited horizontal depth? I can see from the 3D that the Standing Seams are not aligned on the two Roof surfaces on the two sides of the ridge. So, it seems possible that you positioned the Section Line and its horizontal depth limit that only one of the Standing seams is visible in it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Rene Pahlavan
Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.
I tried all the horizontal depth settings (infinite, limited, zero), and the problem does not go away. The roof finish is visible in another section. So I deleted the problematic one and re-inserted a new section - same problem. Have also tried deleting and re-installing the accessory (as suggested by suggested by Randy C), but also to no avail.
You are right Laszlo, the standing seams are not aligned on both sides of the ridge - that is yet another problem with this add on accessory. I can only move the object, and not manipulate it (by offsetting and edge for example) - so while I can move the standing seams to line up, by not being able to adjust the size of the object, the leading edges will not line up with the gable ends.
I really love the look of the standing seam roof accessory, but these gremlins bug the hell out of me.
AC27 (Apple Silicon)

macOS Sonoma 14.1.2.

Lingwisyer
Guru
The seam position is dependant on the direction and origin or your roof reference line, while the boundaries are defined by the referenced single-plane roof. If they become disassociated, then you are stuck...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
henryL
Enthusiast
I found the same problem, does your section intersect the object partially or entirely ?
Solution
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear all,

After many attempts, I managed to replicate the issue on my end. The issue arises with the following process:
- Draw a Multi-plane roof
- Make 2 opposite sides into Gable type
- Split the roof into 2 Single-plane roofs
- Apply the Roof Surfacer object

As Ling suggested, the seam position depends on the Roof's origin and direction of the pivot line, therefore in this case, the seam does not align perfectly. For some reason, in section/elevation, this can make one side of the roof surface disappear.

To get around this issue, I suggest creating the roof using single-plane option. Make sure to input the same direction when drawing the pivot line of the roof.

I believe the "missing surface" in section comes from the addon itself, unfortunately, Goodies are based on legacy code which GRAPHISOFT does not support anymore.

Thank you very much for your understanding, and I am very sorry for the inconvenience!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Rene Pahlavan
Enthusiast
henryL wrote:
I found the same problem, does your section intersect the object partially or entirely ?
It intersects entirely.
AC27 (Apple Silicon)

macOS Sonoma 14.1.2.

Rene Pahlavan
Enthusiast
Thanks Minh...

A real shame that GS does not support this add-on.
AC27 (Apple Silicon)

macOS Sonoma 14.1.2.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the same problem sometimes. The way I fix it, is by putting the created roof surface in a seperate layer. When one side disappears in my section I simply hide and unhide the layer, and it fixes the problem.