BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Roof Surface only partly showing in Section - Roof Accessory Standing Seam

Rene Pahlavan
Enthusiast
Looking for some help to figure out why a whole plane of standing seam roof surface is missing in section view - while other planes are showing up fine in the same section. The missing plane is visible in all other views (3D, elevation, etc.) but only just missing in section. Really perplexed as to why this is happening. All the standing seam roof surfaces are on the same layer and all other settings the same (renovation settings also checked).

Does anyone know why this could be happening? First screen-shot is the section. Second is the same angle but elevation. Third is the 3d view.
AC27 (Apple Silicon)

macOS Sonoma 14.1.2.

MBP M3 Max (16-inch 2023)
14 REPLIES 14
GBurwell
Contributor

I have tried Nguyen Minh's recommendation of recreating the roof as a single plane and reapplying the surface but in section, the surface is still missing.

KingaW
Contributor

Hello,

Does anybody have a workaround for the roof surfacer tool?

I even tried to drag a copy (so it is not associated with the roof), but still it randomly will not show on elevations/sections.

Now even on the floor plan it is missing sometimes...

BIM Manager, AC13- , now on AC26/27 USA
Dell i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 32 GB
Windows 10 Pro, NVIDIA Quadro P2000
Florida
Brandon-W_DWa
Contributor

I ran into the same issue; found a solution (at least for now, and maybe just a fluke?) - conditions below:

• I had successful Roof Surfacer elements modeled and showing up correctly for about a day.
  • All roof planes were already modeled as single plane, so no issues came from a multi-plane roof.
  • Below just one of my roof planes with Roof Surfacer element, I made edits to the intersection priority of building materials within the wall composite. Therefore, the intersections of materials within said roof and wall changed. This was when only one of my Roof Surfacer elements started acting up in my wall sections (the one above my changed wall composite).
  • It was still there in 3D; still on the same layer; and still had the same renovation filter.
  • Tried a few things:
    1. Delete Roof Surfacer element, remodel: still broken.
    2. Delete Roof Surfacer element, move roof composite up 5'-0" and back down, remodel Roof Surfacer element: still broken.
    3. Adjust the renovation filter of the Roof Surfacer element from new, to existing, and back again: still broken.
    4. Only when I changed the home story of the Roof Surfacer element, then back again, did it show up correctly in my section. I didn't "Relink Home Story", so that may work, but my Roof Surfacer element literally shifted vertically 12'-0", and started to show up in section again. This must be where the Roof Surfacer element has a broken link to the roof composite, which in my case, altered when I adjusted my building materials.

Hopefully that helps someone!

Versions 19, 21, & 23; currently using 25
macOS Monterey 12.6 - 2021 MacBook Pro 16", M1 Max Chip, 64gb DDR5
Browser: Google Chrome

Hello bWhite,

I tried to change the roof composite and the home story of the surfacer element, but unfortunately it did not help me, random pieces are still missing.

It's very said, I have been using it for long years and I will just have to say goodbye.

Thank you for sharing though!

Kinga

BIM Manager, AC13- , now on AC26/27 USA
Dell i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 32 GB
Windows 10 Pro, NVIDIA Quadro P2000
Florida
stoneunturned
Booster

Unbelievably frustrating to spend 6 hours playing with a newly discovered feature of archicad, which i had assumed upon discovering was going to be a surrogate and elegant solution for complex profiles for rooves that would allow me to draw an associative profiled roof that would look perfect in section and even contribute to a production detail, only to discover the aforementioned issues and the developer's shrug and official statement of "oh sorry, we dont support that buggy crap anymore"

Why the hell is it still bundled it into the goodies 2 years on???

It's junk. It doesn't work. Get rid.

It serves only to waste precious time on tight programmes.

The kicker is that you only get to this post to find out that it definitively will not work for production output. And that can be anywhere between half an hour to 8 hours+, which no architect has time for.

Minh, dont give thanks for my understanding, because i certainly don't!

I should send GS a bill for my time.

Guess ill redraw my Profiled Sheet 26s and continually trim them to the roof structure as the project evolves.........

Damn

Win11 AC26 5002 NZE FULL, i7 4770k @ 4.4Ghz, GTX 1080Ti 11Gb, 16GB
Dell G15 Laptop: i7-12700h, RTX 3060, 16GB DDR5
Thunderbolt 4 to 2 screens, HDMI to a 3rd screen. Laptop lid remains closed.
3dconnexion mouse and keyboard
Learn and get certified!