Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

SYMBOL LEGEND

Dennis Lee
Booster
I'm trying to do a simple symbol legend for the cover sheet. I am doing the cover sheet in the Layout directly, with the sheet index, some notes, etc.
I would like to include a symbol legend that has some basic drawing symbols - like grids, elev. markers, section elevation markers, door, window numbers, etc.
So far I am able to find most of those markers, explode them and bring it into my cover sheet, except for the section / elevation markers. I cannot explode them, and I cannot paste them into the Layout page.
Is there a way to do what I'm trying to do?
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
9 REPLIES 9
__archiben
Booster
Dennis wrote:
Is there a way to do what I'm trying to do?
weeell. this is really not going to help you in the short term - and i'm sounding more and more like a sales person for cadimage everyday now - but cadimage's 'rapid detailer' has a range of electrical symbols and a schedule object that self-generates depending on the type and quantity of placed symbols.

it's a GDL issue, but if it's something you are intending to do again and again, scripting your own symbols and an automatic schedule object in a similar manner could be your mid-long term approach . . . ?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
No easier way AFAICS. To get your S/E markers, you could save your plan as a DWG, merge it in and then explode it. Not pretty, but it will get the job done.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
why do the legend on the layout sheet? why not do it right in the pln window and save a view?

I've actually set up our template with a separate story below floor level with all the symbols and notes for people to start from (on the proper layers, too so they can use the eyedropper). I've set up a saved view in the template for the symbol legend that is placed on the cover sheet and reshaped depending on any special conditions that come up on the job that would require chaning the format of the sheet.

Doing it this way also means that you can make dummy section, elevation and detail tags in your legend...

hth
wes
Dennis Lee
Booster
Thanks folks. I thought about the DWG export / import, but didn't want to give in that easily - and have to rely on something I'm trying to get away from. Since I only need to do this once, I just traced on top of the symbol in the floor plan - not too difficult at all.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Dennis Lee
Booster
Thanks, Wes,
Actually that's a great idea. I'm just stumbling along here, trying to get my first project done in AC, so I'm sure I'm doing lots of things wrong. I managed to make a story for my keynotes in order to be able to put detail markers in there, but haven't thought about doing the same for the symbol legend!

I will definitely try your method. Thanks!
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
LiHigh
Newcomer
why not try Interative Schedule?
As long as the maker is an object, it shouldn't be a problem. However I can't see a way to list AC Section Marker.
Howard Phua

Win 10, Archicad 19 INT
Anonymous
Not applicable
you could get the section marker to appear by opening the object, changing the sub-type, and then resaving it under a different name
Dennis,

The way that I do it, and it works VERY well, is to have a separate PLN file with your legends, details, abbreviations, etc, with a separate view created for each legend and detail. (Groups of details can be on separate stories). If you have your project file and the "office standard" file open at the same time, you can be in the project file, but have the Organizer open to both PLN files. The Views column in Organizer shows the "standards" views and the Layout column shows the layout pages in the project file. Now you can "drag & drop" your legends and details onto your layout pages. Hope that's clear.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Dennis Lee
Booster
Thanks Richard,
I think my current project will become the "office standard" file once it's over. I will re-organize the contents of this file to create a template file and also an office standard file as you suggest, which will grow as I get more projects done w/ AC.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9