Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Same Material Shows 2 different ways in elevation

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi There,
On a window opening, I have the same material for the casing and the sills. When I produce the elevation drawings, the casing is filled black, while the sill looks correct. What am I missing?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Probably a Graphics Override, or any setting in the casing?
Any Surface override?

A little more of information will help to give you an accurate answer.
The casing is from the door, or a separate object?
Also adding the Archicad Version in your signature helps
RandyC
Advocate
Shadows ?
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,
Sorry, Version 19, I have attached a screen shot, maybe that will help. Definitely not a shadow. I don't know of any graphics override that would affect only the trim, not the sill. Where might I find that?

Also, the trim and sill are attached to a rectangular window opening that is in the cladding. The window itself is in the wall. I build the wall and cladding separately for ease of changing the cladding material on the client's whim.
Barry Kelly
So if you change the sill material to something else does it actually change?
I am wondering if that sill material is not for that sill at all (maybe an internal sill?).
I am not familiar with your window object so I am just guessing.

What window object is it?

Barry
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Barry,
Yes, If I change the material of the sill, it does change. I double checked, and the "real" windows in the exterior walls do not have sills or casing. The window that I am using in the cladding, which shows the sill and casing, is the "Rectangular Window Opening 19" from the R19 library. I should also note that when I render the model, it looks fine, which is why I don't want to just change the casing material to something that shows as white. If I change the material to something else, it does change the casing in elevation. For example, if I change the casing to "Aluminum" the black infill goes away. I could, I suppose, keep the material that I want when I publish the renderings and change it every time I want to print the elevations, but that promises to be a major pain in the neck. For the life of me, though, I cannot figure out why the same material would be shown differently in two different parts of the same window. This is consistent throughout the entire model, by the way, not just one or a few windows.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, this could probably be a problem in the window library, probably a setting or the library part itself, or something in the project.

Try this, make a new project and copy a wall with windows that have the problem, and try to see if is good.
Also try using different library parts to see if this happens.

As a temporary solution try duplicating the surface or doing a new one, that will look the same in the 3d and render and it will look good in the elevations.
Like taking the dark grey, if works with that, duplicate and adjust the color to be the same as the other.
Anonymous
Not applicable
That worked, I used a medium dark gray material that I had set up, and lightened it a bit so that it looks similar to the original material that I wanted. Thanks!