Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Saving format for Piranesi

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just bought Piranesi and am having problems with saving image from ArchiCAD. Apparently, rendered image can not be saved in epx, despite what Brian suggested. In 3D image format it is either Open GL or Internal, - neither save materials into epx., although I can clearly see the materials in images. I tried Vedute and saved image in DXF for that, but Vedute crashed immediately.
Saving in epx takes about 15~20 min, even after I hid most layers, - is it normal?
I would appreciate your help.

Victor
Recup: how to save materials and shadows into epx and how to do it faster.
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
Victor wrote:
I just bought Piranesi and am having problems with saving image from ArchiCAD. Apparently, rendered image can not be saved in epx, despite what Brian suggested. In 3D image format it is either Open GL or Internal, - neither save materials into epx., although I can clearly see the materials in images. I tried Vedute and saved image in DXF for that, but Vedute crashed immediately.
Saving in epx takes about 15~20 min, even after I hid most layers, - is it normal?
I would appreciate your help.

Victor
Recup: how to save materials and shadows into epx and how to do it faster.
OpenGL or Internal are not rendering options - those are 3D window display options. You can render to either internal engine, sketch or lightworks when saving for Piranesi.

Saving as Piranesi is indeed from the 3D window and will save the current view using the size and rendering engine specified by the rendering settings, not the 3D window settings. Just do a Save As as Piranesi/epix. Whatever materials you are rendering to will be rendered to the Epix RGB channel. Each unique material will be assigned a unique material in the Epix Material channel.

The save as epx part is nearly instantaneous - the time consuming part is the rendering. When you save, it generates a full rendering with whatever settings you have for your photo rendering options - making that the epic RGB. If your intent is to do most of your work in Piranesi, then choose rendering settings in ArchiCAD that are super fast.

No need for Vedute.

What OS are you on, and what versions of AC and Piranesi are you using? Current Piranesi release is 6.0.2

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,
Thank you very much. It worked!
I just couldn't understand that, even while using 3D model, the settings should still come from Photorendering.
Now it's all fine.
For the record: I have ArchiCAD 13 and Piranesi 6.0.2 for Mac.
Thank you again!

Victor
PS. By the way, are you familiar with Maxwell Render by any chance?
Karl Ottenstein
You're welcome.

Not familiar with Maxwell, but various people have posted about it in this forum. Start a fresh thread with any questions you might have on it.

Have fun with Piranesi.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB