Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Section Viewpoint on Enlarged Plans only

g r a n t
Enthusiast
Hello,
First time post. Go easy on me.
I am two weeks into learning ArchiCAD 24. I am preparing a small residential project for my kick-off project in ArchiCAD. My question concerns controlling where the Section Markers are displayed. I have created floor levels by storey in the project map. I have then created floor plans and enlarged floor plans in the View Map by saving views (different scale, layers, etc.)
As it is a small building I find I need to place section markers on both the overall main floor plan and then the enlarged plans. For example, on the 1/4" overall floor plan I show 2 overall building sections. Then, on the enlarged plan that shows the addition to the existing house I want to show additional sections that would be enlarged sections of that portion of the building only. The reason for putting the markers in two views (main floor 1/4" and enlarged at 1/2") Is that if I put them all on the 1/4" whole main floor plan the drawing gets too cluttered.
Is the only way to do this is put the section markers on different layers?
I see how you can control if the markers appear on one storey or all storeys but not by View.
Long question....help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

G
I started learning ArchiCAD at age 50....bear with me,
AC26
MacBook Pro M1 Max.
Ventura 13.1
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
g wrote:
First time post. Go easy on me.

Welcome to the forum - thanks for posting in the correct section.

g wrote:
I am two weeks into learning ArchiCAD 24. I am preparing a small residential project for my kick-off project in ArchiCAD. My question concerns controlling where the Section Markers are displayed. I have created floor levels by storey in the project map. I have then created floor plans and enlarged floor plans in the View Map by saving views (different scale, layers, etc.)

Spot on.

g wrote:
As it is a small building I find I need to place section markers on both the overall main floor plan and then the enlarged plans. For example, on the 1/4" overall floor plan I show 2 overall building sections. Then, on the enlarged plan that shows the addition to the existing house I want to show additional sections that would be enlarged sections of that portion of the building only. The reason for putting the markers in two views (main floor 1/4" and enlarged at 1/2") Is that if I put them all on the 1/4" whole main floor plan the drawing gets too cluttered.
Is the only way to do this is put the section markers on different layers?
I see how you can control if the markers appear on one storey or all storeys but not by View.

Yes this is how I would do it - by layers.
You can not control visibility of a section/elevation marker by the view.
You will find that you will need different layers for annotation at different scales because you probably want the text to remain a constant printable size while the model gets larger or smaller with scale.
Hence you will need the annotation to be in separate positions for each scale.
That plus the fact you may even want to have different of more detailed annotation on larger scale plans.

That is why I would have different layers for each scales for annotation and/or your section and elevation layers as well.

Remember to make layer combinations that turn the correct layers on/off for each scale.Then you just apply that layer combination in the view settings.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
g r a n t
Enthusiast
Hello Barry,
Thanks for the reply and input. I suspected as much. It would be nice if this was controllable by the Saved View or something like that. The annotation scale by layers reminds me a bit of AutoCAD of years ago. I'll have to look a bit more into layer combos and set something up.
Thanks for the help.
I started learning ArchiCAD at age 50....bear with me,
AC26
MacBook Pro M1 Max.
Ventura 13.1