BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Section Views of Half Log Siding

Anonymous
Not applicable
We are using composite fills to represent half-log siding on a stud wall and it looks spectacular in Plan view.

For 3D views, we make the wall a log wall, with flats on the inside - add the log material to the outside and the painted wall to the inside. The exterior views look excellent.

Section views suck.

For those of yuo who have used the log feature and have used the flattened side log, you know that it leaves a niche in the wall at the stack height. This is not good.

I need a better idea of how to represent half log siding that looks good in ALL views.

We WERE using a seperate log wall on the outsuide of an acutal stud wall, but the windows don't cut through BOTH walls so we are stuck putting in dozens of 'empty' windows. This, (short of further adjsutments) causes problems with edits, moves, fine tuning, and of course - window schedules.

So who can give me a better way of representing half log siding in ALL views. A material won't cut it because it will show flat in section and in elevation.

Please post ANY ideas that you may have in hopes of getting this to work better. Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18
__archiben
Booster
cadimage's accessory tools have a log function (amongst many many other fantastic features) . . . .

some 3D options ...........
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
__archiben
Booster
section display .............

(you can set air gap, log size (diameter), thickness used as a cladding, set-out point, materials, 2D fills & pens, etc . . .
logSections.jpg
b e n f r o s t
__archiben
Booster
the wall builder interface for logs ...............

(and cadimage's 'accessories pack' can be found at: http://www.cadimagetools.com/home.php?page=products&productID=168 )

HTH
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
__archiben
Booster
and i just re-read your post again:

because this object is an accessory, it recognises any windows and doors that you have placed in your stud wall already and allows you to choose facing elements for those windows and doors that will be built as a part of the cladding . . .

(it's good! )

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
well it looks like that is what I'll be after then. Now to the boss for money...... Anyone have any other ideas?
__archiben
Booster
just because it's really easy to put something like that together very quickly, i did the attached. 2-3 minutes. it took longer to collage it in photoshop. bear in mind that i wasn't too fussy with the more detailed settings of door/window sections . . .

it's a tool that is incredibly useful. it's changed my whole approach to archiCAD - i simply model the structural depth in walls, slabs and roofs now and then use the cadimage accessories to clad it. no messing with loads of archiCAD walls to try and achieve claddings and linings.

job done. and for it's price it'll save you money by the end of the week!

cheers
~/archiben

ps - here's the link to the downloadable PDF manual:
http://www.cadimagetools.com/dataDownloads/Accessories%202005-08-01.pdf
justbecause.jpg
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would have to second the CadImage Accessory Tool recommendation. It has many features that are well worth the price of admission. It can behave a bit quirky at times, so be forewarned. You may need to erase the part, and re-apply it again. It is very powerful, and presents wonderfully in sections/perspectives/elevations.
If they could only get the fascia to do a perpendicular cut, I would be very satisfied.
Thomas Holm
Booster
How much does (for example, the log wall vs. a plain flat wall) slow down rendering?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
These log siding walls are great if a contractor is going to make the corners but what happens when you are using a full log tail? This is the dilema our design team is facing. Attached is an attempt to visually show what our log siding looks like in the corners.
This allows a customer the full log exterior look with the added ability to frame the inside.
The problem is we can't use one wall for this. and when we use two walls, we either have to add empty openings in the log which doesn't allow our windows/doors to look quite right, and it adds complications to our sections as well. Is there anyway to just add an adjustable full log tail to the ends of these walls using the same tool?
Thanks for any help
Learn and get certified!