Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Section - toggling coloured in and not coloured in

Haneef Tayob
Booster
I need to set up my sections in the layout book, such that the section is coloured in on one layout. On another layout, I need the same section uncoloured, with all the same annotations, etc.

Currently it seems that I have to manually change the section line settings each time on the [fill uncut surface...] option in the section selection settings.
I prefer not to duplicate the section line and then changing the settings.

Is there a setting, possibly in the view map, where one can set this how the uncut surfaces are treated.

Thanks
Haneef Tayob
Aziz Tayob Architects
AC23 INT rel 3003, OS X 10.14.6 iMac 3.3ghz i5 dual monitor, 24GB RAM
8 REPLIES 8
Thomas Holm
Booster
Didn't I answer this a couple of days ago? Did you do a search?

Anyway, GS has in their unfathomable wisdom decided that these settings are Viewpoint settings, not View settings. This means that if you want different-looking views of the same Section or Elevation, you need to duplicate the S or E and set the copy as you like. If you don't want the copy to show in the floor plan, you can move it to a hidden layer.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Haneef Tayob
Booster
Thomas wrote:
Didn't I answer this a couple of days ago? Did you do a search?

Anyway, GS has in their unfathomable wisdom decided that these settings are Viewpoint settings, not View settings. This means that if you want different-looking views of the same Section or Elevation, you need to duplicate the S or E and set the copy as you like. If you don't want the copy to show in the floor plan, you can move it to a hidden layer.
Dear Thomas
Thanks - I was hoping for a different answer. It would be great if it was part of the view settings.

By the way, I did try doing a search before I posted the query and must have missed it. For a strange reason, I still can't find it. Please let me know where you replied, as I would be interested in reading it.

Thanks
Haneef Tayob
Aziz Tayob Architects
AC23 INT rel 3003, OS X 10.14.6 iMac 3.3ghz i5 dual monitor, 24GB RAM
Thomas Holm
Booster
Haneef wrote:
...By the way, I did try doing a search before I posted the query and must have missed it. For a strange reason, I still can't find it. Please let me know where you replied, as I would be interested in reading it.
Not so strange, it wasn't particularly obvious that these apply to colored surfaces as well, sorry...

Check here... (about hatches)

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=133114#133114

And here... (about vectorial shadows)

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=131710#131710

I'm sure others have mentioned this workaround as well.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Not sure if we are talking about the same thing (I am on AC 11), but if all you need is to remove the fills for materials and/or shadows, you *can* do that with Model View Options.

Material fills are 'cover fills', shadows are 'drafting fills'. Checking them to 'contours only' will give you what I think you want.

Of course one would normally not calculate those fills only to hide them, but it actually would make sense if you are doing two model views of the same elevation I think. [Even it it ended up calculating fills a second time only to hide them, I think I'd rather have the computer do some extra work than burden myself with maintaining two section markers for each section.]
Djordje
Ace
Ignacio wrote:
Not sure if we are talking about the same thing (I am on AC 11), but if all you need is to remove the fills for materials and/or shadows, you *can* do that with Model View Options.
AFAIR gone in 12 ... view point property now.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:

I wasnt aware of this change, Can you elaborate further on this?
Djordje wrote:
We are talking two different things, both of which you are aware of: Section/Elevation viewpoint settings control whether the fills are generated or not, as they always did; Model View Options control how those generated fills will display, which is all Haneef needed since he was already generating those fills.

Like what you would get if you exported your fancy shadow elevation to your consultant with your no-fills view option --that view is all he needs if he wants to keep everything in a single S/E marker.

[I just checked this in 12. Unfreakingbelievably fast S/E rebuild.]
Djordje
Ace
Ignacio,

You are right. MVO with the Override cover fills does get rid of the fill AND the material colour - both. Override Drafting fills gets rid of the shadows.

The only thing you can't get with the MVO is showing the fill, while removing the colour and/or the shadows.

I remember a lot of us trying to persuade GS to include the material colour and fill showing or not in the MVO, not in the Viewpoint settings, so was a bit mixed up without ArchiCAD running to check.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen