Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Selections not working correctly in ONE elevation

JKL
Contributor
I have an elevation where I cannot click and select any item, I have to draw an element around it, poly or whatever is selected in the selector tool. The other elevations allow selections fine. All the settings seem to be the same in either view.
Archicad24 on mac
Designer

Mac

Archicad 26
10 REPLIES 10
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Is just deleting the Section and recreating it an option?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
JKL
Contributor
That is what I ended up doing, and it worked; but I really wanted to figure out what was wrong with that specific elevation. I'm trying to learn Archicad pretty well on my own and these little issues are so frustrating. I would like to know the ins and outs of the settings better so that I can trouble shoot issues like this in the future.
Designer

Mac

Archicad 26
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
It is a very good attitude to have to want to be able to understand everything and why things happen the way they do in Archicad. I myself have a similar attitude.

However, sometimes the reason is just a glitch in Archicad, or it may be caused by other things, e.g. a display driver error. And sometimes it does happen that some data within Archicad gets corrupted. I would say that in this case, it was probably not caused by some setting in Archicad which you could have discovered and modified. This happens sometimes, and if it can be easily remedied by simply recreating the Elevation, then there is probably no more reason to worry about it.
raoultittel
Participant
Hi there,

I had the same issue in AC24. Prior to this I have never had this problem. Unable to select the element e.g. roof, but able to select text or a fill. The answer for me (thanks to our BIM manager Myles) was that the section or internal elevation (or elevation I guess) had a limited height set to 0 and 0. (zero,zero). If you set it to unlimited then it works.

Is very annoying. I have not experimented beyond this. Good luck.

Raoul
Archicad 24 PC Windows 10 Pro

x64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s) 32gb RAM Nvidia Quadro P1000
Lingwisyer
Guru
raoultittel wrote:
limited height set to 0 and 0

And it was still displaying somethings, just nothing was selectable? Interesting.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
Lingwisyer wrote:
raoultittel wrote:

And it was still displaying somethings, just nothing was selectable? Interesting.

Interesting or a bug?
You can't have a zero width section/elevation.
But if the top and bottom heights are the same (i.e. effectively zero height), it shows the entire height but still crops the width.
Why not just a warning to say it can't be done?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I will report this to GRAPHISOFT. I agree that there should at least be a warning or something when you try to set the Vertical Range to zero.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear All,

Thank you very much for your opinions about this problem!

We have discussed it and agree that it makes little sense to have Vertical range limit to 0 but the whole model is still visible. I will ask the developers about this function, why it behaves like this. As soon as I have the answer I will let you know!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

raoultittel
Participant
Lingwisyer wrote:
raoultittel wrote:

You can select, but you have to window the elements (be they 3d or 2d) to select them.

Raoul
Archicad 24 PC Windows 10 Pro

x64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s) 32gb RAM Nvidia Quadro P1000