BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Sending 3D Model out

Anonymous
Not applicable
One of our clients would like to take our 3D model and be able to twirl it, and move it around out side of the office.
- Is there a way we can do this?
- Is there a format it can be saved in so that the clients do not need ArchiCAD?
- And if we send this 3d model out, to be viewed elsewhere the library parts are going to be left behind, correct? So then what do we do about that?

Thank You.
Jess
6 REPLIES 6
Chadwick
Newcomer
As far as I know, I think you can install a copy of ArchiCAD on a machine without a key/serial number and it can be used as a 'viewer' of .pln files. Or you could get Adobe's new Acrobat 3D software - although I am not sure if ArchiCAD can export to that format yet. There is also a 3D .dwg viewer from Autodesk. You could export the model from the 3D window to a .dwg and see if that works.

Just a couple of ideas - hope it helps.
RA 2012 x64, Piranesi 6 Pro, Sketchup 8, Windows 7 Pro x64, Intel Core i7, 10GB RAM, ATI Radeon Mobile 5870
Anonymous
Not applicable
Create a VR object of the model and all you need is quicktime to view and spin the model. Quicktime is standard on most computers and a free download if a user does not have it. This also keeps your Archicad file in your hands which is probably where it should stay. The VR object does not allow as much control as you have in Archicad, but a series of them can be a very valuable communication tool. I often create sectional VR objects using the marque to isolate portions of the building. Set up the VR object with the camera tool and initiate the rendering in the image menu.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Or QuickTime VR. Sample here:

http://www.stantonarch.com/_g_q_hd_001.html

enlarge view if you want.
ArchiTAD
Newcomer
Something to look forward to in AC10 is the implementation of Universal 3D (U3D) file format for windows users. Check out pages 59-63 of…

http://www.designintegrations.com/files/ArchiCAD10/newfeatures10.pdf

Makes your model available for viewing (navigation, rotation, zoom in and out…) to anyone with Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 or later. Sounds great if it actually works!

Tom
Thomas A Dailey, CPBD, AIBD, Assoc. AIA
www.designdailey.com
ArchiCAD • 25+ years experience
AC …20, Sketchup Pro 2016, Artlantis Studio 6 Piranisi 6 PRO, VectorWorks, Adobe CC, 27" iMacs, G4 Cube, Mac OS 10.12.5, iPad Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate
Thomas Holm
Booster
I recommend saving from the 3D view as 3DS or DWG and tell the client to download the free Sketchup Viewer and open the file there (I'm not sure if the new Google Sketchup will do for other than native .skp files).

This will do exactly what you want, is free and cross-platform, and simple to use.
Jesikuh123 wrote:
One of our clients would like to take our 3D model and be able to twirl it, and move it around out side of the office.
- Is there a way we can do this?
- Is there a format it can be saved in so that the clients do not need ArchiCAD?
- And if we send this 3d model out, to be viewed elsewhere the library parts are going to be left behind, correct? So then what do we do about that?

Thank You.
Jess
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
stefan
Expert
You can also export as VRML and use one of the free VRML browsers.

Or take a look at EON Zermatt, Wirefusion, Cult3D.

ArchiCAD 10 can export to U3D files, which can be embedded in PDF documents.

3D DWF files are also nice, but I don't see how you can create them from ArchiCAD, unless you pass through some Autodesk application.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Learn and get certified!