BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Shaded Elevations - how to achieve pure white? How to achieve solid+transparent areas within fills?

Paul King
Advisor
Hi, just wondering how people are getting white painted elements in shaded elevations to appear white, rather than grey? I cannot seem to find any surface definition characteristics that result in this outcome.

Also, has anyone come up with a cunning way that a cover fill for a perforated wall panel element can have a pattern of white masking areas alternating with transparent hole areas that are individually outlined with black pen? (as opposed to the outline of the fill as a whole)?
I can achieve this in 3D with alpha channel for transparency in surface texture, but cannot think of a way in 2D.

Really hoping to avoid physically modeling every perforation to achieve this, as there are thousands of holes, which will massively slow down the model.
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
20 REPLIES 20
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If you are reasonably familiar with GDL scripting, making a stretchable shape and giving an option to put your 'grid' of holes on an angle is probably not too hard to script.

I ussually make an estimate of how much time I will spent changing and saving my assembly of slabs and such as a custom library part vs. how long it would take me to script something smart.

By the way, columns should automatically punch holes, if the building material is stronger than that of the slab. That's why I suggested making a module of columns arranged in your pattern, copying that around over a slab. It doesn't matter if it extends past the slab border, just save only the slab as object. You can then change the module and it should change for all your funky shapes.

Grasshopper connection is probably great for this stuff, but requires having two more software licenses.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Paul King
Advisor
Thanks Erwin.

I have done a smattering of GDL over the years - but the problem is that once I allow myself to open that particular door, nobody can convince me to stop trying and learning what I need to do enroute until I succeed. Solving problems can get a bit addictive.

Not really more efficient for the client, or for me, if this is a one off situation that I may never encounter again.
Odd are high that if it ever comes up again, 3 ArchiCAD versions from now, there will be a much better way by then.
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Another brainwave: complex profile that is a huge area of your pattern, extrude it with a wall. Create the frame around it with beams / columns and use SEO to trim away the bits you don't need.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Paul King
Advisor
Good thought! Basically editing a fill. Now all I need is a way to make solid fill with complex repeating holes pattern. (I can do Ctrl-U to make an array of holes if I have to - but even more elegance if I could get fill pattern itself to do the work - sadly, in my experiments, even though under AC23 I can now create a perforation pattern fill that LOOKS like solid and void, the white areas in fill pattern are still read as 'fill' by complex profile )
Barry Kelly
Unfortunately you can not use a patterned fill.
You must physically cut the holes in the fill.

You mentioned before a boolean cutter.
I would probably do that.

I would just use round beams (version 23) spread out in the pattern you want over an area larger than your panel or in earlier versions create a complex profile of round beams, again slightly bigger than your panel.
Create the panel and frame - the panel with a building material weaker than the beams and the frame stronger so it will not be cut by the beams.
The beams will automatically cut the holes.
Then select the panel and convert it to a morph - this will 'fix' the holes and that way you don't have thousands of hidden beams all over the place (although you can do that if you want rather than saving as a morph).
Then move on to the next panel and save that as another morph.
Repeat for each panel.

For the horizontal parts of your panels you could do the same but with columns.

Keep just the one set of beams/columns in a hidden layer just in case you need to modify any of the panels - just create a new one.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Paul King
Advisor
Thanks Barry - yes that is sounding like the best option currently.

Would love for there to be a straightforward procedural way to define stretchy perforated panels

Something like the CADimage wall , roof and slab covering tools, but with custom boolean cutters in a repeat pattern as the coverings.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I think GS preferred way of doing this stuff is through the grasshopper connection, rather than developing this stuff themselves.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Lingwisyer
Guru
Making a stretchy frame that also defines SOE planes is not that hard in GDL. Reasonably simple trig, but a fair bit of it. The difficulty is creating the perforated panel. You could possibly set it to array a complex profile that is extruded to your screen thickness which is then cropped by the previously mentioned SOE planes. Not sure how easy it would be to hide the connecting edges of the profile though but if you cannot, then your profile would just be required to be that maximum size.

Paul wrote:
I have done a smattering of GDL over the years - but the problem is that once I allow myself to open that particular door, nobody can convince me to stop trying and learning what I need to do enroute until I succeed. Solving problems can get a bit addictive.

I find my issue is that once I achieve what I want, I end up wanting to add more customisations and such, more than what I currently require which also sometimes breaks things...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Paul King
Advisor
Yes - the edge cropping could be fun.
Have never attempted SEO within GDL - can you subtract with sideways extrusion at any angle?

Must resist the temptation to try!
Barry Kelly
Paul wrote:
Yes - the edge cropping could be fun.
Have never attempted SEO within GDL - can you subtract with sideways extrusion at any angle?

Must resist the temptation to try!
Go on, give it a go.
The cropping is just CUTPLANEs moved and rotated into position.
Or you could just create a prism in the shape of the panel and not worry about cutting the edges.

Using GROUPs you can add, subtract, intersect the groups together.
So yes, the 'SEO' can be horizontal, vertical or at any angle.
You just create the elements (could be an array of cylinders that changes size with your panel) and make a GROUP of them.
Mind you, working with groups is a little tricky as you can't see them until you PLACEGROUP.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!