Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Shadows not saving in ViewMap

KeesW
Advocate
Gurus
I am needing to save sun diagrams on elevations for my client. I've discovered that I can't save them as separate views. I create one view of shadows @ 10am 21 June and that is ok. I save this as a new view. When I create shadows for 12noon 21June on the same elevation, and save it as a new view, I've noticed that my previous created 10am shadows, saved in a differently named view, now also show the shadows for 12 noon. Is there a trick here, or am I making a mistake?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
Shadow settings are unfortunately not saved with the elevation view - they are part of the elevation settings and these settings are not remembered when you save as a view.
So you will need to create 2 or more elevations - one for each time.
A real pain if you want to add 2D annotation as well because now you will need to copy and paste to all elevations or set up another just for the annotation and layer this on top of the other elevations in the layouts.

The same applies if you want coloured and non-coloured elevations - save a separate elevation for each.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
KeesW
Advocate
Hello Barry
I am saving a separte elevation for each time. My point is that that I am unable to hold each with a separate shadow time position because each new
view, though saved separately, overwrites the previously created elevation's sun position.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Barry Kelly
I mean create a completely new elevation in the plan and not just a new view of the same elevation.
Each new elevation will have its own setting which are independent of the others.
Then you create a view from each elevation so each view effectively has its own settings.
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
I just twigged you might be using shadow settings "as in 3D window".
If so then all elevations will still have the same shadow.
You will need to use "custom" settings and type in the appropriate angles.

So set the sun in 3D as you want it.
Tick the box in elevation to use "as in 3D window" and take note of the settings.
Then change back to custom and type those settings in.

Change your 3D settings for the next time and repeat for the next elevation.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
Interestingly (i.e. I would consider this a bug) if you set the elevations to show shadows "as in 3D window" and then create a new view and place this on a layout then that layout view will remember the shadow settings.
Now change the sun position and open the same elevation (rebuild if necessary) and you will se the new shadow.
Save this as a view and place on a layout.
Do this again as many times as you want.

The drawings on the layouts will all remember the set sun position.
But if you open the source for these drawings (i.e. the actual views) they will all have the same shadow as set in the current 3D projection settings.
So the views will all look alike but the drawings on the layouts will all be different - even if you 'update' them.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
KeesW
Advocate
Thanks Barry. What you say makes sense and I'll try it later.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman