Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Shadows not showing on surface overrides

Scott Newland
Participant
I can't figure out why shadows aren't appearing on some surfaces. In the attached screen grab, you can see that the shadow that starts on the right side, on the corner trim board, does not continue as it should onto the adjoining wall. The surface on this wall (a composite) has an override material on it, but I don't know why this would affect shadowing. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2014-02-23 at 11.49.44 AM.png
Scott J. Newland, AIA
ArchiCAD 25
iMac running OS 11.5
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
And do those Shadows show when you turn off the override in the Wall's Settings Dialog? Then the override switch definitely has something to do with it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Scott Newland
Participant
Thank you for the reply! When I disabled the surface override, shadows appeared normally. I realized that the override material had an Emission number of 0 and a color white. When I changed the color to a medium grey, the shadow appeared even with the override, so I believe my problem was simply one of surface property settings. The new and improved image is attached.
Scott J. Newland, AIA
ArchiCAD 25
iMac running OS 11.5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
That is a good thing you found the source of the behavior.
This will be useful for others as well.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

it looks like we are having a similar problem.
In a nutshell, let's say the existing elements have an override setting with fill applied equal to Solid with colour 60. The shadow projected from these elements also is type Solid, with colour 60.
I don't understand the utility of this to happen. Floor plan and shadows on an elevation shouldn't effect each other?!?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Can you show a screenshot of this?
Seems to me this is not the same issue as the one previous posts are about.