Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

Show Zones in Section or Elevation Archicad 25

reidweber
Enthusiast

Hello, I am excited to see that you can now view zones in section and elevations in Archicad 25. This feature prompted me to download this version and transfer from 24.  But when I open a file, I cannot figure out how to display a zone in Section. Is there a toggle I'm missing to display that information?  In the graphisoft overview it went into a lot of detail about the new zone tag but the zones aren't visible in section to tag. 

Floor Plan showing Zones

Screenshot 2021-11-03 105131.png

Section not showing Zones

Screenshot 2021-11-03 105302.png

ArchiCAD 24, 25 & 26 US
WINDOWS PC, 16GB RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHZ, NVIDIA GEForce GTX 970, ASUS, CM6870, Rev X.0x
41 REPLIES 41

Great pity that the Zone stamp doesn't link directly to a Surface. It means we have to manually link the colour on the floorplan to the surface in section, elevation and 3D

25 ZonesPerpColours3.jpg

Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Electric Flute
Booster

So zones in sections/elevations are solid blocks. If I want to see my project I must make a Graphic Override Combination to make them transparent. But I don't always want glass to be transparent.

Half baked solution.

AC26 > AC5 - Win10

I think the best solution if you want to keep the glass in windows as solid (not transparent) is to wire frame the zone layer in the elevations as @James Murray suggested and use a Graphic Override to hide the contours.

Or hide the zone layer completely as @reidweber suggested - just be sure to turn off the option in the label to hide with associated elements.

Just when you need to add labels, be sure to change to a layer combination that shows the zones as solid.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks Barry, these workarounds do works. But they mess with our layers standards.
I think we have to stand loud that those workaround are not the best practices. Perhaps Graphisoft listen us.

AC26 > AC5 - Win10

If you create Surfaces to match the Zone Stamp colour and match these surfaces to each Zone stamp then everything works because these Surface can have transparency without a GO. 

ZonesWithSurfaces.jpg

you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone

Yes, but this only works with transparency turned on in Section Settings. This option affects all the glasses, and maybe I don`t want them to be also transparent. That is the point.

AC26 > AC5 - Win10

Zones in Section don't have to be solid and glass can be solid if required.

GOs.jpg

you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone

What settings do you have applied to your zone surfaces to create the transparent zones and opaque glass?

ArchiCAD 24, 25 & 26 US
WINDOWS PC, 16GB RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHZ, NVIDIA GEForce GTX 970, ASUS, CM6870, Rev X.0x

GOsDetails.jpg

I have a series of Surfaces which match the Zone Category colours. I use them for both the Section and 3D views. These Surfaces are semi transparent and the Sections have transparency on. I have introduced an additional GO rule which changes the Glass Surface to white (to remove the transparency). I use the Zone surfaces as shown because I think its a waste of time to to just show Zones in 3D as Glass especially when creating a Massing Study.

Hope this helps.

you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone

I don't have a checkbox under Project Preferences>Legacy to uncheck.  I'm using Archicad 25 3002 USA FULL