Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Showing shadows differently in 3D Documents

Yvonne
Advocate
Is there a way to show the shadows in 3D documents in different colours based on what they are cast by?
I want to show the shadows cast by our proposed building in a different colour.

Thanks
AC26 | Win11 | 64 bit | 32Gb RAM | Intel i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Josh Verran
Expert
Hi Yvonne

We encountered a similar scenario, we wanted to indicate how much shade the proposed addition was going to cast.
One method that might get you close is to have a duplicate of your 3D document.
1st 3D Document set to only show new elements, and then adjust shadow foreground colour.
2nd 3D Document set to show new and existing, or existing and demo depending on your required output, adjust foreground colour.

It's not perfect as you still need to either stack drawings or use a worksheet to extract fills, or magic wand fills.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
Not that I can see.
It seems the shadows adopt the renovation status of the element they fall on and not from what casts them.
So Graphic Overrides and Renovation filters are not an option here.
You can't even select the shadows to change them manually.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Yvonne
Advocate
Thanks Barry.
That's too bad.. was hoping to be able to do something so that we don't have to use fills
AC26 | Win11 | 64 bit | 32Gb RAM | Intel i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz
Solution
Josh Verran
Expert
Hi Yvonne

We encountered a similar scenario, we wanted to indicate how much shade the proposed addition was going to cast.
One method that might get you close is to have a duplicate of your 3D document.
1st 3D Document set to only show new elements, and then adjust shadow foreground colour.
2nd 3D Document set to show new and existing, or existing and demo depending on your required output, adjust foreground colour.

It's not perfect as you still need to either stack drawings or use a worksheet to extract fills, or magic wand fills.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)