Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Significant differences in print output between Windows and Mac

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is a long standing issue for us and it feels so major that there must be something really obvious that I'm missing, so I hope someone here can recognise what I'm doing wrong.

Red zones are problems, yellow are not.

The top image was printed directly from ArchiCAD 22 on a Mac running 10.13 to a Canon IR C3525. OS, AC and drivers fully updated.

The bottom image is the exact same document printed from ArchiCAD 22 on Windows 10 to the same printer.

As you can see there are major differences around the text and with layered fills that mean the printed images are nothing like what we see on screen, and expect to see on the printout. I think it has something to do with the way macs print, effectively creating a PDF first then printing that, but I've tried and failed several times to find a solution.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
12 REPLIES 12
Barry Kelly
I have no idea what the difference could be.
But have you tried publishing a PDF from Archicad and then printing that?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
What does it look like on screen?

Are the print diver settings the same / equivalent between machines?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
If I export a PDF on the Mac and print it I get the same, bad result, which is unsurprising since the standard printing process effectively does the same - application -> PDF -> printer.
If I print the same PDF from Windows, it comes out fine.

On Windows the printer settings are untouched, on the Mac I currently have 2 printer instances, one on the latest driver with no settings changed, the other an older driver with a bunch of settings changed and the results are both similarly bad.

On the screen it looks fine on both.
Barry Kelly
Kieran wrote:
If I export a PDF on the Mac and print it I get the same, bad result, which is unsurprising since the standard printing process effectively does the same - application -> PDF -> printer.
Are you 'Publishing' as a PDF rather than just printing as a PDF.
Publishing uses a built-in PDF converter which I assume is the same for Windows and Mac (I could be wrong as I don't use Macs).

But Publishing definitely gives a different result to printing as a PDF - even on Windows.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep, the PDFs are published rather than save as PDF/print to PDF. You got me thinking though - I just tried publishing a PDF on Windows, then printing it from a mac - the results are still not perfect, but less bad than publishing and printing from a mac.

Another interesting point is that printing from Mac to a large format Canon inkjet works perfectly.

I'm still none the wiser - I've set up a Windows 10 virtual machine and users are exporting their PDFs on Mac then printing them from Windows. It's a bit of a pain but it works.

edit: file published from windows. top: printed on windows, bottom: printed on mac
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

So, based on what I learned so far, let me sum it up (and correct me if I am wrong here):
  • If you print from macOS directly from ARCHICAD, it prints wrong.
  • If you save a PDF on macOS (either by printing to it or publishing) and print that from the Preview application, it prints wrong.
  • The same things work fine on Windows.
  • If you Publish/Save to PDF on Windows, and print it on both platforms from the PDF, then it will be fine from Windows, but wrong from macOS.
  • In all cases the PDFs look fine and only the printouts are faulty.
If all the above are true, then I think the problem is probably with the driver or settings of the printer, and not within ARCHICAD.
  • Try to print from a different pdf reader application, and see if you get the same results (eg. Preview, Adobe Reader, etc.), to make sure it is not dependent on the viewer app.
  • Maybe you don't have the latest driver on macOS? As I can see here, the latest driver just came out last month for this model.
  • Maybe there are some driver/printer settings not set up properly on that specific machine? See if the same pdf would print fine on a different Mac, and compare the results (and the settings).
If the printing is wrong on the other Mac too, maybe the driver for macOS is faulty. You should contact the Printer manufacturer with the PDF and your pictures, and ask them for assistance.

Let us know about your results.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I've sent a mail to Canon, we'll see what they say. I updated to the most recent driver last week and it didn't change the output. I've tried all the relevant looking print options I can find, nothing makes a real difference, and the problem occurs across several macs on various OS and driver versions. I feel like it has something to do with the way AC generates the PDFs with transparencies for the partial fills. We have tried Adobe Reader on Mac and it doesn't resolve the problem, I use Foxit Reader on Windows and the results are generally acceptable, but Foxit Reader on Mac still has problems.
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Some additional info that I just found out (this might be useful):
  • PostScript drivers on macOS can have problems with transparent fills. If it is available try non-PostScript drivers as well
  • Adobe Reader has an option in its print dialog to 'Print as Image'. If you print the PDF like this it might print properly
Good day!
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, I tried print as image, the quality was pretty poor. The PS driver... we have used in the past, but it has its own problems, and we generally settled on the UFR one as less problematic.

I just got an email back from Canon. Since we don't have a support contract, they won't help me. Great. Going to try our reseller.