BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Sketch Rendering style.........VERY SLOW...WTH happened?

rob2218
Enthusiast
I'm not sure but now....when I try to do a "sketch" rendering....it's taking for ever to render something that used to take seconds.

I used to use the "Kohn-nor" technique with small minor adjustments on the lines, shawdow, thickness, distortion..etc...but now...it appears this "sketch" technique takes forever?

it doesn't want to finish the rendering?
what gives here folks?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Rob,

Could you run a test with the following modification to your settings:

Under View, 3D View Mode, 3D Window Settings... , set the Transparency in Shading to "off". You may have something in the interior that is hanging the render generation. Or it could be something within the distant neighbor's house.

Hopeful that helps,
Ric
rob2218
Enthusiast
will definately try that tonight! and report back findings.....thank you so much.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218
Enthusiast
very sad....just tried it...STILL hangs.
there's some setting with the "shadows" hatch pattern as it diagonally is making the hatch....it's hangin up....not making the hatch diagonal pattern as quickly as it should.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
muzedesigns
Participant
Hi Robb2218,

Did you ever figure out a solution for this? I am on day 3 of a render still waiting for it to finish!!
Chrissy Avramidis
|| ArchiCAD Versions 7-22 ||
|| 27inch iMac Pro (2017) | macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 | Processor 3 GHz Xeon W | Memory 64GB 2666 MHz DDR4 | Graphics Radeon Pro Vega 64 16368 MB||
Anonymous
Not applicable
If your computer specs as listed in your signature are correct you do not have nearly enough RAM, you really need at least 16Gb

Regards,
Scott
muzedesigns
Participant
Thats for pointing that out Scott, they were the specs 5 computers ago .
The image finished processing this morning after around 68 hours.. 3 more images to go.. Any ideas?
Chrissy Avramidis
|| 27inch iMac Pro (2017) | macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 | Processor 3 GHz Xeon W | Memory 64GB 2666 MHz DDR4 | Graphics Radeon Pro Vega 64 16368 MB||
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
What size is the render? What settings?

Shadows in Sketch render take very long.

If you are going to overlay the sketch on top of another render in a photo editing program, that will have shadows already.

If you want to keep things colour-free (sort of), a quick white model cinerender render of the same shot will get you shadows a lot quicker.

If you have a very high polycount (for example a lot of trees / hedges with individual leaf materials), that might be a problem. Also consider that a lot of small leafs will just end up as a nearly massive mass of black lines, not the sort of thing to associate with a tree.

Bumping anti-alias to 4 also increases render times a lot, while not really looking all that much different from having it set at 2.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
muzedesigns
Participant
Thanks. My poly count will be large due to a large number of vehicles. I have switched my method, using ArchiCAD 22 Window settings to white model.

Thanks peeps.
Chrissy Avramidis
Learn and get certified!