Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Sketchup merge into Archicad for rendering

menantol
Contributor
Hi!

I am currently trying to render a sketchupmodel that I merged into Archicad and I'm running into a few difficulties.

Is there a way to edit a single surface to add a new material to just that surface? (The entire model is now a single mesh structure.) Would turning the whole thing into a morph solve this issue?

Do the imported materials show up anywhere in Archicad to allow for me to edit the material, add bump, reflection etc? I couldnt find them in the materials selection.

Some background on the project is that I originally drew it in AC17 then exported to Sketchup for detail modelling, furniture import and render. Then I saw the new engine in AC18, liked it a lot and want to try it out. It is looking awesome and hopefully everything works as one would want.

Please dont question why the step to Sketchup was made. I just like to work in there somtimes.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.
/Andreas

AA / Architect
AC26 • Intel Q9500 | 16 gb ram | Nvidia 3070 • Win 10
4 REPLIES 4
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
menantol wrote:
Is there a way to edit a single surface to add a new material to just that surface? (The entire model is now a single mesh structure.) Would turning the whole thing into a morph solve this issue?
Yes, converting the Mesh to a Morph will allow sub-element editing, in the Help files see Elements of the Virtual Building > Construction Elements > Morphs > Morph Selection.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
menantol
Contributor
Thank you for your reply! I will try to covert it into a morph hoping that nothing unwanted changes along with it.

Do you happen to know where and if imported materials are stored anywhere. I can see them in the model 3d view but cannot access them.

Thanks.

(Signature added.)
/Andreas

AA / Architect
menantol wrote:
Thank you for your reply! I will try to covert it into a morph hoping that nothing unwanted changes along with it.

Do you happen to know where and if imported materials are stored anywhere. I can see them in the model 3d view but cannot access them.

Thanks.

(Signature added.)

When you convert the object into a Morph, all it's materials show up in your Materials (or Surfaces) list with the suffix (*Converted from Morph object) at the end of the material name.

The best way to go about it is to probably add a prefix or letters ahead of each material name in Sketchup before you import it, and this will make it easier for you to find them in the ArchiCAD materials list after you convert it.
menantol
Contributor
Great, thanks a lot for the support!

Here is an image of the render from AC in case you are interested. This is without proper adjusted materials. Will post end result when finished. Still looks really good imo considering it is very quickly done.

http://anamanarau.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/auktion-4-rendering-interi%C3%B6r.jpg
/Andreas

AA / Architect