BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Some BIM Objects just render white....

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. While rendering with Cinerender some objects render white no matter the material selection I made. These are some bim objects (chairs) which have different surfaces to apply included in the parameters of the object itself.

Any idea whys this is happening?

Example attached....

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Check in the Model tab of Object settings that you don't have Override Surfaces turned on
Screen 01.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
Check in the Model tab of Object settings that you don't have Override Surfaces turned on
Override is not selected....
Barry Kelly
Open the material settings and have a look at the Cinerender settings for that material.
If it is just white but the OpenGL settings are coloured then it just means it has never been set up for Cinerender.
The quick way to fix this is to use the "Match Settings ... Cinerender to match from Internal" button - but this will not give very good settings.
The proper way is to tweak the settings properly by doing it all manually or by going to the "New" button and replacing it with an already set up material for the surfaces catalogue.

Actually if you say you have tried using other materials (I re-read your post) then I don't think this will be your problem.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Open the material settings and have a look at the Cinerender settings for that material.
If it is just white but the OpenGL settings are coloured then it just means it has never been set up for Cinerender.
The quick way to fix this is to use the "Match Settings ... Cinerender to match from Internal" button - but this will not give very good settings.
The proper way is to tweak the settings properly by doing it all manually or by going to the "New" button and replacing it with an already set up material for the surfaces catalogue.

Actually if you say you have tried using other materials (I re-read your post) then I don't think this will be your problem.

Barry.
The thing is that materials are embedded in the object properties so the selected surfaces won't show in surfaces window. No chance (that I know) to replace with custom materials e.g for cushions and structure. And no chance to match properties between cinerender and internal engine.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Convert it to morph and replace the surfaces.

It's a bit brute force, but it should work.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erwin wrote:
Convert it to morph and replace the surfaces.

It's a bit brute force, but it should work.
Unfortunately this method is kind of an inconvenience for me...moreover when I get this message...The Morph(s) being created are extremely complex and involve a large number of polygons. This may take a few minutes, and the result may affect ARCHICAD performance.

my bad.....
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
There is a problem with (some) hardcoded surface definitions in GDL objects from 3rd parties, I've noticed (it renders white or highly reflective, resulting in near white). I would assume they have hidden the script if you would try to edit the code to add the option to define the surface.

If you break it down to morphs and assign surfaces, you can save it as an object again. The polycount of your model shouldn't change.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erwin wrote:
There is a problem with (some) hardcoded surface definitions in GDL objects from 3rd parties, I've noticed (it renders white or highly reflective, resulting in near white). I would assume they have hidden the script if you would try to edit the code to add the option to define the surface.

If you break it down to morphs and assign surfaces, you can save it as an object again. The polycount of your model shouldn't change.
OK. Thanks for the help....chairs have lots of components so the object breaks in many sub objects...and the 2d representation gets wrecked. So another step after assign materials it to create a 2d representation "icon"
Learn and get certified!