BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Strip light source in archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi this is my first post..
How can I produce a strip light in archicad..?? (like a hidden light across a line)
Why archicad does not have such a lightsource??
7 REPLIES 7
Dwight
Newcomer
You are correct that there is no fluorescent or strip lamp in Archicad. Point source only, except that the origin 'point' can be made large enough to emulate diffuse lighting. Park a large diameter light cone down half way into a wall to create the look of a strip light.
strip lite.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Any results, yet?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am also trying to achieve this effect. Cant seem to replicate it, though. Should the light be angled at all or straight down? Can you send a screen capture of the lamp setting you used to achieve that effect?

Thanks!
Dwight
Newcomer
tilt toward camera to illuminate room better.
At least a 3m start cone.

from page 69 of "LightWorks in Archicad."
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you show your Lamp Settings window to further demonstrate how you created this effect? Thanks!

Archicad 14
Dwight
Newcomer
tilt toward camera to illuminate room better.
At least a 3m start cone.

from page 69 of "LightWorks in Archicad."

Buy the book or experiment.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
BOOM!

I needed strip lighting in an interior scene. Its called cove lighting. I used Dwight's method but I couldn't get it to work on a small scale such as a strip light behind a cabinet groove.

So another work around is to import into Artlantis (which also only has point source lighting).

In ArchiCAD:
Step 1. Place a tube (Objects/Basic Shapes/Cylinder) to represent strip lighting.

Step 2. Change all your tubes to the same Surface material. (Artlantis matches shaders to materials.)

Step 3. Export to Artlantis

In Artlantis:
Step 4. Drag neon shader (Shaders/neon light) onto the surface material.

Step 5. Slide the Power adjuster to your recquired Light strength.

Voila! It seems so simple!

Thank you Artlantis and ArchiCAD....and getmethod.com

Keep up the great work.

Credits to thisvideo: http://vimeo.com/21276467

*Note: Neon lighting should be applied at the latest possible time as it requires a lot of calculation compared to light sources. (neon light is still considered as a material that gives ambience i think)
Learn and get certified!