Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Surface of the column

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello i have a problem about surface of the column. As you can see in the pictures, there is wood veneer outside the selected column. But I want to paint on the top floor that appears inside the wall. I'm not just painting that little bit white. The color of the entire selected colony is changing. How do I paint that little piece white?
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
If you want different colours (surfaces) on the column you will need to split it into 2 separate columns - i.e. one on each floor.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes i split it but i cant give different color on surface of this column. There is one option to select color.
Karl Ottenstein
zsvnc wrote:
Yes i split it but i cant give different color on surface of this column. There is one option to select color.
The surface is defined by the building material. You can override that surface by clicking the paintbrush icon in either the Info Box or the Settings dialog as shown in the attached screenshot and then selecting the surface appearance that you want.

More generally, I'm not sure why you are calling the element a column as it appears to be a wall? If your thought in calling it a column is that it is a structurally bearing element - you would handle that by assigning its Structural Function (under Classification and Properties) as a "Load Bearing Element".
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Barry Kelly
zsvnc wrote:
Yes columns only have one surface colour for all faces unfortunately.
Unlike walls that have a front, back and sides.

Can you use a wall here instead of a column?

Or if it is the side of the column you are trying to change, use a building material that has a strength weaker than the white wall.
Make sure the wall on the upper floor intersects with the column and it should automatically cut the column away.

Or just reduce the width of the column so the white wall runs past it.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11