Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

TRANSLUCENT PANELS AT NIGHT

Anonymous
Not applicable
We're doing a tower with a large translucent panel, Kalwall, to be precise, and I'm trying to do a rendering to show it glowing at night. While messing with all the transparency settings, light sources, etc, the result either ends up being transparent and not the right look during the sunlit renderings(which doesn't bother me that much) or not transparent enough and the light doesn't show through in the night time renderings.

I'm in V.13, I have access to the internal engine, Z-buffer or lightworks.

The short question: what settings (material and render engine) should I use to make something look like Kalwall at night?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
To get a glowing appearance you need to adjust the "emission" setting for the material.
Dwight
Newcomer
The real answer is to get the demo of Artlantis… but in the meantime:

Another approach:

Make the Kalwal as transparent as glass with a covering 'scrim' - an image of an array of fine white dots, for instance - say, equal to 50% coverage.

The dots confuse the rendering engine, creating translucency.

This approach can complement the white emission that Matthew recommends because it also allows some interior light through the wall to cast shadow beyond the building, an aspect that emission alone cannot achieve.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
To get a glowing appearance you need to adjust the "emission" setting for the material.
What level would emission need to be set to? I'm trying to recreate Kalwall in ArchiCad too and I'm not enjoying much success.
Anonymous
Not applicable
KBurhani wrote:
Matthew wrote:
What level would emission need to be set to? I'm trying to recreate Kalwall in ArchiCad too and I'm not enjoying much success.
Try a simple test model and adjust the emission settings to extremes and in between to see the effects. There is a setting for the amount and color of the "emitted" light
Dwight
Newcomer
Kalwal cannot be created with "Emission" alone since you are looking for light radiation as well as whiteness.
As said below, a 'scrim' is required to allow interior light to glow outward.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Kalwal cannot be created with "Emission" alone since you are looking for light radiation as well as whiteness.
As said below, a 'scrim' is required to allow interior light to glow outward.
Of course. The difference between translucence and transparency. The Kalwal has diffuse transmission.
Dwight
Newcomer
I reiterate this point because Archicad users using LightWorks 'emission' will be attempting an impossible effect, having been spoiled by the simplicity of this effect in Artlantis, etc.
Dwight Atkinson

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!