Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Teamwork & Plotmaker w/ missing library parts????

Robert Fuchs
Booster
We have recently had a problem with a couple of individuals not having
library parts show up in PM after importing view sets. We all have the latest build and system updates on our macs. I can open the layout book
and do an update and all the library parts show up. Then they can open
the book after i close it and do a update and the parts vanish. Is anyone
else having this problem? It is happening on two of our projects right now but the others seem to be fine. We have had to resort to saving out pmk
files to do our check sets b/c the view sets are not working. The only difference between my computer and theirs is that mine is a dual G5 2.0
and the others are single G5 1.8. We have a really large project right now that is working fine and they all do not have the current AC & OM build. We may have to unistall the current build and go back to the older
one if the keeps happening. The thing i believe that might be causing the problem is when we sign in to the plp file our AC 9 library shows up in our
current library and also as library not found. We just remove the library fron the not found list and go on. none of us seem to be able to remove it . Thanks for any replies....
Robert Fuchs
Miller Bosksus Lack Architects, P.A.
2x2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/10 GB RAM
Mac OSX 10.6.4, AC 14 (3004 USA Full)
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
sounds like each teammate is loading the AC standard library from their own machine. The PMfile uses BGArchiCAD to load a version of the plp in the background. It can't locate a library on someone else's machine. the most reliable solution is to load the AC library from a common server.

Alternatively, you can have a copy of the library listed in the plp for each member. They will show up as not found in the library manager at the start - DO NOT DELETE these duplicates, since the path name maps to your other teammate's libraries. Unfortunately, we've found that PM/BGAC can sometimes forget them even if they are correct.

i've discussed this problem before though i dont have the link handy - you can probably find it with a search for this topic...

wes
Robert Fuchs
Booster
Thanks for the information. I have not wanted to put the library on the
server for speed reasons but i may have to. We will give it a try.
Thanks!
Robert Fuchs
Anonymous
Not applicable
v9 fixed the speed problems with library loading across the network. i tested it in our office when we ran in to the "forgetfulness" problem I described above. no difference - at least not on the g5's in the office. i may even have tested it on the slow old g4's floating around from a few years back... don't recall

wes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Robert Fuchs
Booster
for now we have decided to rename the other computers working on this project the same name. That is working fine. I may put the libraries on
the server and try that a little later. it already takes the G4s in the office
around 10 to 25 minutes to open most of our teamwork files. what's
another couple of minutes. Thanks for the help!
Robert Fuchs
Anonymous
Not applicable
Robert wrote:
. it already takes the G4s in the office
around 10 to 25 minutes to open most of our teamwork files.
WOW!! Is this the sign in time or just opening a teamwork file? You do know you can save a draft to your local hard drive and then opening is not quite as bad.
TomWaltz
Participant
The file size, library size, and/or network speed are the most likely culprits, though.
Tom Waltz
Robert Fuchs
Booster
most of our files are 50 megs. we do save the draft files to our desktops.
then do the send and receive before we get out. I think the speed may
have to do with no ram in the G4s. They only have 384 MB. By the end
of this year everyone in the office is supposed to be upgraded to a G5.
So i have held off on upgrades for the G4s. The same file opens in under
a minute on the G5.
Robert Fuchs
TomWaltz
Participant
That's the problem.

We have 50 - 70 MB PLP files coming out of our ears, but they are running on dual G5's with a minimum 1.5 GB of RAM.

Our largest was 210 MB, and even it took "only" 5 minutes to open.... still annoying though!!
Tom Waltz