Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Teamwork "Layout" File Takes Forever to Update Layouts

BenATA
Booster

Hi All, 

I would appreciate your wisdom on this subject:

Our office is working on a new school project that consists of 6 buildings. Each building is modelled in an individual .pln file that is accessed through BIMcloud as a Service. All layouts are linked to a "Layout" file which is also stored on BIMcloud as a service. From this file we manage revisions, issues and publish all layouts. We have approx. 1000 drawings across 150 layouts. 

The issue we have is that updating all these layouts takes 3+ hours to complete, and as such has to be done overnight. If there is an issue then the updating the process needs to be started again, often during work hours - which we really want to avoid. 

Has anyone had a similar issue and if so how did you solve it? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

Thanks in Advance

Ben

AC23-25

MacOS Big Sur

Cheers,

Ben

ArchiCAD 23 -amp; 26
MacOS 12 - 13
12 REPLIES 12

for humungous projects with multiple AC files (teamwork or solo) & it's own Layout File, i would begrudgingly go with the PMK setup & keep an eye out for any Linked Marker issues. it doesn't happen too often, but when it does, it might be an easy fix.

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8

I haven't tried .pmk though not sure about how the process works. 😐

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards

i haven't done it since v22, so i'm assuming the processes haven't changed. it's pretty easy. it's all set up in the Publisher Sets.

1. create a new Publisher set for PMK
  2. in the Publisher Manager, create a shortcut for all your Saved Views in the View Map into the PMK publisher
  3. set them all up to publish to PMK, in the correct directory in your server / workstation.
  4. when in the Layout file, either re-link the already placed drawings, or import the PMK as an external drawing.
  5. when you need to make changes to any of the drawings, simply re-publish the PMK from Publisher & just update it in the Layout file. this was the way drawings were organised in Plot Maker pre AC 9(?) but it still has its uses.
AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8