The ideal way is to recreate from scratch and avoid copy/pasting or importing from another. The initial setup is going to be more time consuming than "importing" but it will help to re-evaluate all your settings and avoid the possible existing mistakes. After that setup updating when a new version comes out should be easier.
But though ideal it is sometimes not practical.
So my current workflow is:
- clean a current office file
- create another blank document based on current AC Template and Clean it.
- Don't be afraid of deleting stuff from the Template you can always bring them back using Attribute Manager though you need to remember to use the option "By Index" so they import were they are supposed to.
- Using Attribute Manager start bringing in items from the "clean" file.
- Do not use "Bring Associated Attributes" bring in order (Fills, then Surfaces, then BMats)
- Bring only one first and reindex it to be 500 then bring the others in. This will help you figure out if attributes were created by copy/paste since all the office Attributes would go from 500 forward. Any other attribute will be less than 500 and higher than the last number in AC's base template.
- Start redefining all project elements (it will go faster than you think) and saving Favorites.
- With 26 you can start sorting items into folders. Organize so that the most used ones always show first on the list and that users can easily find them. (Though Folders are half-cooked in the implementation hopefully they will be fixed and fully usable when AC 40 comes around.)
- Then re-create views, etc as necessary.
- When in doubt on how to proceed always try to keep it simple and test it by teaching another user on how to do it. If the explanation is too convoluted or has too many exceptions then rethink that workflow.
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
Another of the forum moderators.
Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram
OS X 10.XX latest
AC26 US/INT -> AC08
Puerto Rico, BVI, Miami