BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Templates, etc.

Stephen Dolbee
Booster
After starting AC, click on "Create new Project". One option at this point is "Use a Template". I can't find anywhere in the manuals how to create one (or save one). This must be a time saver. Can someone give me a clue? Is Eric Batte's STS something worth purchasing, and if so, why?

Also, we have never used the publishing feature in AC. In 8.1 (which we just upgraded from 7.0) it seems this is important to learn. We do not post drawings online. Why publish?

I feel like I have done pretty good with versions 4.55 thru 7.0, but 8.1 has me wishing for some training. Any help is much appreciated.

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
9 REPLIES 9
TomWaltz
Participant
Creating templates in Archicad is quite easy.

Simply set up your file as you want it, then click File -> Save As.... and select Archicad Template (.tpl) as the format.

I don't know much about Eric's templates.

Publishing is useful for any electronic output from Archicad, such as making base drawings for consultants, output for Photoshop, PMK's for Plotmaker, etc.
Tom Waltz
Djordje
Ace
Stephen wrote:
After starting AC, click on "Create new Project". One option at this point is "Use a Template". I can't find anywhere in the manuals how to create one (or save one). This must be a time saver. Can someone give me a clue? Is Eric Batte's STS something worth purchasing, and if so, why?
Because it will save you creating your own, that's why. It is much more work than just saving a file - the point is, HOW to organize the file.
Stephen wrote:
Also, we have never used the publishing feature in AC. In 8.1 (which we just upgraded from 7.0) it seems this is important to learn. We do not post drawings online. Why publish?
Oooouch ... where have you been on the old Talk? Sorry if this sounds bad, but I cannot believe that you were, for example, manually saving PMKs and/or DWGs or renderings ?!??!? Who says Publisher is for Web publishing only?
Stephen wrote:
I feel like I have done pretty good with versions 4.55 thru 7.0, but 8.1 has me wishing for some training. Any help is much appreciated.
Steve, please don't get me wrong, but your failure to use the Publisher to the full in 7 makes me think that you were not in contact with other users or were exploring the software as deeply as you could have. I do hope I am wrong, and it is excellent that you realize that you need some training - or, better, conceptual consulting! This is a good place to start
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Djordje wrote:
I cannot believe that you were, for example, manually saving PMKs and/or DWGs or renderings ?!??!?
Steve
I'm sorry-how does publishing save time? It sounds like others also manually save PMKs for one reason or another. Teach me-I'm willing to learn.

Steve
Djordje
Ace
Stephen wrote:
Djordje wrote:
I cannot believe that you were, for example, manually saving PMKs and/or DWGs or renderings ?!??!?
Steve
I'm sorry-how does publishing save time? It sounds like others also manually save PMKs for one reason or another. Teach me-I'm willing to learn.
Since 7 came out there is no reason, except if you want to save a single PMK, to do it manually.

Creat a publishing set, where the origin are QuickViews (layer combinations and display options saved in themo, of course) that can be 2D and 3D. As the output format, choose PMK, DWG, whatever is appropriate. Define a proper folder for the output. Let the machine chug away while you are at lunch or gone home for the night.

Now in 8.x you NEED PMKs for the 3D vectorial views only. The plan/section/elevation views can be linked directly from the plan.

The key are the views - now only the VIews, not QuickViews any more. Four factors (scale, zoom, layer combination, display options) are saved with each. You can now name your display options.

You definitely should ask someone to drop by and show you the logic of Navigator. Maybe AcuWest would be the right place to start? It is best done on person!

HTH,
Djordje

HP Omen
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Djordje wrote:
You definitely should ask someone to drop by and show you the logic of Navigator. Maybe AcuWest would be the right place to start? It is best done on person!
I can see the logic behind navigator. When first starting with it, it just seems a bit tedious. Also, the AC documentation seems very much lacking on this point (ref. manuals and tutorial for 7 and 8.1). My current project will use publisher.

Thanks for your input,
Steve
Djordje
Ace
"Stephen Dolbee wrote:
I can see the logic behind navigator. When first starting with it, it just seems a bit tedious.

It is, as it has to provide for everybody - and then, wehn you set it up in your template, it is a breeze.

"Stephen Dolbee wrote:
Also, the AC documentation seems very much lacking on this point (ref. manuals and tutorial for 7 and 8.1). My current project will use publisher.

There is an online version of Help/Manuals for 8 and 8.1; see http://www.graphisoft.com/community/archicad-talk/viewtopic.php?t=1064

Comments and suggestions are welcome!
Djordje

HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
If I may take the opportunity to answer the question about my templates...

There are sooo many things that one must do to organize a project model in order to produce working drawings, renderings, etc. The whole process is quite complex when you think about it, but it can also be quite easy when all of the decisions are thought about and prepared ahead of time. The idea behind templates is that the overall structure of your model and documents has been created ahead of time. All you have to do is insert your building and when you have good templates setup you're much closer to the "automatic documentation" philosophy of the virtual building.

Highlights of my Standardized Template System for ArchiCAD are:

Pens & Colors: I use a unique and user friendly pens and color system that is unique to the STS
Layers: NCS layer naming conventions are used
Layer Combinations: Nearly every practical layer combination has been provided
Display Option Combinations: these are defined by drawing type or methodology
Drawing Views: All of the above are combined into preset drawing views for all typical drawing types from plans to elevaitons, sections, details and notes.
Favorites: I've included a long list of preset favorites for notes, dimensions, etc.
PlotMaker Layout Book: Nearly every sheet and drawing type has been setup using NCS sheet naming conventions and all included autotext in the Master Layouts. Additionally, drawing views defined in ArchiCAD are already placed into the layouts wherever possible so that they must only be relinked and updated to your current project. This bypasses the import, place, crop, name steps usually necessary.

There's much more...

Anyway, the idea is to never start from scratch. Of course everything can be customized further as required to fit your practice. More details are available on my web site www.getstandardized.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
In response to Eric's post RE: his STS formatting:

I had the privilege to beta test this template system early on - and I have NEVER looked back. The beauty of the system is the simplicity and practical makeup. IT MAKES SENSE. All elements of the system are well thought out, and I have benefitted greatly. I am now much more organized and even more competitive in my local market due to decreased labor. Also, much more of my time can be spent on the FUN part of design, as opposed to the rigors of C.D. prep. When I compare the lifetime investment into A/C - the hundred bucks spent on STS has had the most horsepower yet. It's Nitrous for A/C!
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Thanks Eric and Kurt for your input. Now if I can get the boss to spring for it...

Steve
Learn and get certified!