Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Text tool bug

Bullwise
Participant

Hi there! I've been struggling with a minor bug for quite a long time. But as small it is, as annoying it can get.

When I'm writing a text in the Text Tool box, after a short period of time, the Enter, Backspace and Delete buttons from my keyboard stop working. Only in Text Tool. Other keyboard shortcuts are doing just fine with these buttons. It is very important, that in the moment of starting the program they work genuinely and just after a short period of usage they stop working. Sometimes, after long hours of program usage, they start working again, also for a short period of time. I tried to find some pattern, but it seems totally random for me.

First I met this problem in AC22, where I still used a lot of predefined work environment settings from older AC versions. When I switched to AC25 my hopes were high, that I will get rid of this minor bug, but it still remained with me. The only settings I am using now in AC25, apart from factory settings, are my keyboard shortcuts, so I guess it might have something to do with that. But that is only a guess. 

Have anyone met this issue yet?

13 REPLIES 13
Barry Kelly

It has been known for other programs running in the background (or possibly even the operating system itself) to 'hi-jack' keys (or keyboard shortcuts) and stop them working.

But it seems odd that it starts out OK and then goes bad and then comes good again.

I don't have a solution for you, but maybe try turning of all other applications running at the same time as Archicad to see if that helps.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Andre_Steynberg
Booster

Quite a coincidence as this happened to me last night on my home pc, never before on my work pc.

At first I thought I'd pressed some sort of combination of keys or it was some sort of Windows settings but the Backspace and Delete keys worked just fine in Windows.

Now that I think of it, do you perhaps have Nvidia GeForece Experience installed?

I know this interferes with some of the shortcuts on my pc, might be the culprit.

Andre Steynberg
Win 10 64-bit
AC27

GeForce Experience has caused problems with Archicad for many years.

If you have it, I would un-install it.

At worst, turn it off so it does not run when you start your machine.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I was experimenting with this every now and then, without any results. 

Also, after installing a clean copy of windows, the problem remained the same. That's why I think it is not a third party program problem, maybe something driver-based?!

Thank you anyway!

I don't have Geforce Experience installed.

All that I have is Nvidia PhysX, which (according to my google documentation) I have no idea what it is :))) or if I can uninstall it or not. Although I am not sure that it would solve anything. Any experience on that?

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hello,

Thank you very much for the question and I am very sorry to hear about the issue!

Since the issue still happens after a fresh reinstallation, it's unlikely that other software interfered with Archicad's operation. Have you tried with another keyboard and see if it helps with the problem?

Also, on Windows there is a virtual keyboard (Start > search for On-screen keyboard). When the issue happens, can we use affected keys in the virtual keyboard?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

I'm experiencing the same issue.. for text boxes and text in schedules. Is there a solution? 

AC26 | Win11 | 64 bit | 32Gb RAM | Intel i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz

Hello,

I still could not find the solution for the problem. None of the above mentioned hints worked for me.

But there is still hope :). 

I have the exact same problem also... Something isn't working as it should.