Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Texture map-align 3D texture

Tom Krowka
Booster
Any way to make a texture map follow a 3D curved element. See attached JPG. Align 3D doesn't work on the curved element, which is a complex profile of a stringer from the stair tool. Per the AC help instructions. Also any way to add a texture map to the end of the same profile. It's showing up as the material from the profile (not the texture)
Thanks Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
5 REPLIES 5
Tom Krowka
Booster
attached jpg of above issue.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Emre Senoglu
Expert
edit: sorry, I just realized you actually used a stair tool. fixing my original post accordingly.

You are correct in realising that you can't align textures on a stair element. A workaround for this is to simply edit your material, and rotate it to the degree you desire in its settings. You will have to play around a little, since I haven't exactly understood the way the stair tool interprets this rotation value.

As for assigning a different material to the end, this is indeed possible.

There is a way to assign different materials to the different parts of the complex profile. For example the wall part of the stringer could have a brick material and the top part wood. However this is a little more difficult to explain in text, so let me know if this would be useful to you and I'll be happy to create a small walkthrough video for you.
AC26 ARM // MBP M2 Max // Twinmotion | Corona | Rhino

www.senoglu.dk

Tom Krowka
Booster
Thanks for the input. I was trying to avoid creating a new texture and adjusting the angle. But it appears that might be the only way to do it. I did convert to a morph, then the align 3D did work. Was able to change the texture on the face as well.
Regarding textures on profiles....am assuming you would change the materials in the profile itself when creating the profile. If not, then I would be interested in your video.
Thanks, Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Emre Senoglu
Expert
Ah yeah, unfortunately so. Converting to morph could be an option, but then you won't have the chance to further tweak your model. And yep, that is what I was about to suggest - changing materials inside complex profile edit window. I'm guessing you already know this. Other than that, you could use Rhino to create these more complex shapes and set texture UVs accordingly, and then hotlink them into AC. This would complicate things a bit, but if texture aligning is absolutely crucial, it could be a way. I couldn't help much unfortunately, but maybe someone else knows other methods.
AC26 ARM // MBP M2 Max // Twinmotion | Corona | Rhino

www.senoglu.dk

Tom Krowka
Booster
Am trying to keep my work all in one program; don't have inclination to learn another program (keep it updated, buy it, etc) to generate some custom shapes. So will have to work with AC and its limitations. But thanks for your comments..
Regards, Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com