BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Texture repetition problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everybody! I have now created a number of CineRender surfaces by using only different shaders and layers. I am starting to find it inspiring and fun in many ways. The benefit of not using images is, beside much less heavy files and faster rendering, that you get rid of the ugly tile repetition effect, and get naturalistic, endlessly varied surfaces like marble.

However, I am a bit disappointed to discover that there is still a disturbing repetition effect in the photo rendered image when I use several of the same object, balusters of a stair in this example. The funny thing is that the balusters are not 100% identical, but the pattern changes only slightly from piece to piece, each baluster is light in the bottom and patterned in the upper half. This looks unnatural and makes the enervating work to modify each and every baluster manually in Photoshop necessary again, which I have really hoped to be able to skip by using a generic CineRender surface.

balusters1.jpg
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have even tried to set custom origin for the single baluster (which is not a solution anyway when you have like a hundred similar items) but this command doesn’t seem to work with a gdl-object that is my baluster in this case.
balusters2.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
In the surface settings I have set random origin but it does not seem to give any effect. Nor does changing the angle or choosing either ”lock or unlock proportion”.

Does anybody have any experience with similar problems and maybe an idea for a solution?

Thanks in advance.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Might be a matter of taste, but maybe scale down the whole surface? Those veins and what not look a little big on those balusters.

Also taste, but a more subdued colour would make it less obvious too.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erwin, thanks for your answer. I get your point with the color strength. This is only a test and the strong colors just make it easier to see what happens.
I have discovered now that CR creates the same ground pattern for each object from start, which looks identical from a distance. However there are small modifications in each case. Maybe it is one of the noise / distort layers in the Color shader that is responsible for the repetition and the variation, respectively.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The scaling down did make some difference too, the repetition is less obvious this way indeed.
balusters3.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have found a compromise solution. When I save a sequence of identical objects as one custom GDL (.gsm) object, the repetitiive effect disappears and the texture becomes continuous over the whole sequence.
Learn and get certified!