BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Transparency in 3d Documents

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

I am trying to create a 3d Document, but the glass transparency is taking away all shadows and colors.
is there any way to change that?Is it somehow possible to get a 3D Document that looks exactly like in the generic 3D Perspective or to save the 3d object as a vector Pdf file? I would need it for a presentation.
I uploaded 2 pictures as an attachment for reference.

Thanks a lot!
1 REPLY 1
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Luka,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

From my understanding, unfortunately, the 3D Document cannot handle the transparency as sophisticated as the 3D View. Only the lines behind the transparent material are visible if the material's Transmittance (in Surfaces dialog) is set higher than 50. The color of the transparent material will cover the material/surface color behind it totally.

I found out that, if you set the transmittance to 100, it will make the transparent material looks as if it is invisible. We can "exploit" this to export the 3D Document with color to vectorial PDF.

- Set up the first 3D Document (I call it 01 Original)

- Duplicate this document (I rename it as 02 Duplicate), then open it (02 Duplicate)

- Set the "01 Original" to Manual-rebuild Model (in 3D Document Selection Settings)

- Change the transparent material's transmittance to 100 in the Surfaces dialog

- Rebuild & Regenerate this view (View > Refresh > hold Alt while clicking "Rebuild")

- Set the "02 Duplicate" to Manual-rebuild Model

- Save the two 3D Documents as Views.

- Place these 2 views on layout, make sure they overlap each other (the 02 Duplicate should be on top of the 01 Original)

Now you can export the layout as vectorial PDF!

I hope this will help you with the issue. Best of luck with your presentation!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Learn and get certified!