Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Transparent cut fill in a composite in a section view

BradJAllen19
Booster

I've been having a problem which I've been working around using 2d fills in my sections but I feel I'm just missing something that is probably obvious to most users.

I'm working on a section cut through a house.  Part of the house has batt insulation in a cathedral ceiling roof and the rest of the roof is cellulose insulation.  I want to have the insulation be a physical element in the model but I also want to see the trusses in section which are often not directly on a cut line.  No matter what I do I can't seem to get the insulation fill to show the pattern but have the background be transparent.

As you can see in the first image I have the cut fill override on and background set to transparent for the element, I went into the building material and set the background to transparent but I still can't see anything that is behind the fill.  If I manually draw in a 2d fill I can set the background to transparent and it works fine but if I need to move the section cut line I need to adjust the fill instead of it just updating. There is the same problem with the batt insulation as well as the cellulose.  I even tried making a graphic override which singles out those two materials but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Has anyone run into this before?  If so did you find a solution?

section 1.PNGsection 3.PNG

section 4.PNGsection 2.PNG

  

Brad Allen
Designer
Ironwood Manufactured Homes Inc.
Archicad 26
Windows 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
DGSketcher
Legend

Screenshot 2022-03-18 at 18.03.58.png

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
DGSketcher
Legend

@BradJAllen19 Any chance your insulation material strength is greater than the trusses and therefore removing them? If you create an isolated view of the trusses & insulation in 3D and make the insulation transparent or it's layer wireframe are the trusses still there?

Have you checked your Section settings for overrides?

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Hi.

Yeah I thought maybe the material strength was to high so I dialed the insulation way down and there is no change.  In 3D the trusses are still there when the insulation is wireframe so that isn't the problem.  I turned on the cut fill overrides in the section settings and made the background transparent but it doesn't do anything.

Brad Allen
Designer
Ironwood Manufactured Homes Inc.
Archicad 26
Windows 10
DGSketcher
Legend

@BradJAllen19 I have had a play with this. In a new template drawing I found that the Building Material needs to have a transparent surface e.g. Glass. This can be applied with a Graphic Override to the insulation. You also need to affect the display order by either pushing the insulation to the back or bringing the trusses forward. The transparency seems to work whatever the fill pattern and background pen colour. I have only tested this with an Object Truss and using Slab & Roof for the insulation

Hope that helps.

Solution
DGSketcher
Legend

Screenshot 2022-03-18 at 18.03.58.png

I'm running into the same issues.  I'm not able to make it transparent by following your steps.  Maybe I'm missing something. 

Floor is composite - OSB subfloor / TJI w/ insulation / GWB Finish

I have TJI beam in there as well and I would like to see it parallel to the section I'm in, which are the lines. I can see the perpendicular no problem.  I would also like to see the object hanger I have as well. I have push the slab all the way back and the TJI beam / hanger to the front, but that didn't do anything. 

https://www.screencast.com/t/PpkGAAjYj

Archicad Solo 24 - 27 : Windows 10 Pro 64-bit : 16 GB ram / Intel Core i7-4770k @ 3.50GHz : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Hi, Had a similar issue. Check your renovation graphic overrides & ensure you are not overriding your surface fill

QRoy
Participant

I came across this topic when I tried to make zones a transparent color in sections. The key was to set the 'transparancy' option in the section settings to 'on'.

Thank you for advising us to turn the transparency on in the section settings.

I created a transparent building material, which I am using in a composite.

The building material transparency displays correctly in the plan and section views when I apply the composite to a wall.

However, the building material displays solid white when I use the composite as a roof, which is my intended use.

Any ideas?

Archicad 26 Macbook Pro, Ventura 13.6.3

Got it. I had a surface override attached.  Thanks.

Archicad 26 Macbook Pro, Ventura 13.6.3