Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

True Line Weights look too thick when 2D Drawing Antialiasing is turned off

Stuart Smith
Booster

Like the title says.

Here is a screen shot comparing display on a layout (top) versus .pdf output (bottom)

edit: Version 26, Mac

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 11.39.46 AM.png
v26 3010 USA
MacOS 12.6
AC user since 8.1
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein

Seems pretty strange if the PDF was created from the same layout as it is shown.  They should match if all settings are the same.  The Layout looks like the wrong pen table or magnification setting is being used, as the lines are so thick that things aren't readable.  Is the PDF saved from that same layout, or is it created by a Publisher set which uses a different set of layouts (which might have different drawing magnifications and/or pen tables for the drawing)?

PS. Starting with AC 26, it is essential that all people on Macs post if they are on an Apple ARM Mac running the ARM Preview of 26, or (regardless of Mac) running the Intel release (which is at build 3010 today).  Which is the case for you?

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

I'm on the Intel release (3001), MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) M1 Max

The PDF was created from the same layout as the screenshot.

After I turned ON "2D Drawing Antialiasing" in the "Advanced Redraw Options" the preview true line weight thicknesses went back to what I would expect. See the screen recording below:

untitled-003.gif
v26 3010 USA
MacOS 12.6
AC user since 8.1
Barry Kelly

The display quality has been changed in 26.

Supposedly for the better.

I was told by GS during testing, it is advised to have 2D anti-aliasing on now by default.

My issue with this is I have it off by default, so any wall/line that is not quite horizontal or vertical shows as jagged and I know I have to fix it up.

Now they will show as smooth and I will have no idea unless I set up 2 Work Environments with it on/off and switch between them.

Or leave it off and have a display that does not look as good as it did in 25 and before.

See my post here ... https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Design-forum/Archicad-26-2D-Antialiasing-Possible-BUG/m-p/344811...

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Once I started using Retina (high PPI) displays I turned off antialiasing because I could not discern any meaningful difference off or on, and I assumed it was a performance hit to have it on.

If it's the case that it's no longer a performance hit, and turning it off breaks the true line weight functionality, it seems like the option should be removed altogether.

v26 3010 USA
MacOS 12.6
AC user since 8.1
JohnJay
Expert
@Stuart Smith wrote:

If it's the case that it's no longer a performance hit, and turning it off breaks the true line weight functionality, it seems like the option should be removed altogether.

It shouldn't be removed because turning it on results in an inferior (i.e. blurry) line rendering

Unfortunately 2D rendering in AC26 is severely messed up

See also this thread:

https://community.Graphisoft.com/t5/Design-forum/Archicad-26-2D-Antialiasing-Possible-BUG/td-p/34472...

AC27 | i7990x | RTX4070 | W10
JohnJay
Expert

I hope they take the complaints seriously as the new style rendering is a step (or 3) backwards

Inferior rendering is not progress

AC27 | i7990x | RTX4070 | W10

Be sure to report this to your local Archicad support people.

Just mentioning it here in the forum does not mean it will be noted as a problem, but of course it helps.

The more people that report to official channels (local Archicad support), the more likely the problem will be looked at.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11