BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Twinmotion: Questions on working with ArchiCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
We're just getting into importing models into and using Twinmotion. A few questions;

1. Do you simply export a file, or are people finding success synchronizing ArchiCAD with Twinmotion? If I add to the ArchiCAD file, will it automatically add to Twinmotion?

2. Some of my surfaces/textures are coming through as mostly transparent in Twinmotion. Any idea what causes this?

3. Are there more material libraries? I can't find a good option for clapboard siding, for example.

4. I see that Twinmotion separates materials by their ArchiCAD material. What if I want one roof to be asphalt shingle, and one roof to be rubber membrane? I can't seem to apply a new Twinmotion material to single elements. It applies it to all surfaces with that ArchiCAD material.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Also, I understand that Twinmotion is free to download until November? Do ArchiCAD users need to pay for it after, or is it completely free? We purchased AC23 quite some time ago.
Karl Ottenstein
Steven wrote:
Also, I understand that Twinmotion is free to download until November? Do ArchiCAD users need to pay for it after, or is it completely free? We purchased AC23 quite some time ago.
The free version remains free for as long as it can run (OS updates may change that). The new version coming early next year is free to AC23 license holders - presumably a license will be issued when it is released.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Griffith
Booster
Qualification on these responses - my Twinmotion experience is prior to Abvent selling to Epic Games. So some things may be different now...

1. You can just export, but synchronization is the best way. With syncing, you can update your ArchiCAD model, re-sync to the same TM file, and your TM model will update per your ArchiCAD model. It is not automatic - it will not happen unless you sync again.

2. Transparency - don't have access to TM right now, but I believe if you select the material and check its settings, there is a control for transparency. With some controls you need to look for the "more" option to get to the next level of control. I haven't experienced this problem, so this is just my best suggestion as to where to start. [Edit: I don't see any transparency settings, so not sure what is going on here]

3. I don't know of any other material libraries. Abvent did a blog on how to create your own materials. That may be on the Epic site now (I think a lot of the blogs were moved over, but looking now I can't find them).

4. Yes, ArchiCAD materials determine TM materials. I believe you can work around this a bit by using ArchiCAD surface overrides. [Edit - You CAN select whether replacement affects material or just the selected object. See attch.

Hopefully some of this is helpful.
ArchiCAD 22

Win 10
Do you see Twinmotion respecting building material priorities from Archicad? It seems that they are not respected
Mac OSX 13.6.6 | AC 27 INT 5003 FULL
Learn and get certified!