Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Twinmotion for 23

Barry Kelly
Has anyone heard any news as to when the free version of Twinmotion for Archicad 23 is going to be released?
I see the free current version (build 2019.6) availability time has been extended to 'Early 2020'.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
47 REPLIES 47
rjwilden
Booster
Having used TM 2020 for a bit now, am finding it very buggy, crashes often, selection tricky , and lighting and textures settings all seem to produce a different result than what I was use too in the previous version
Also a bit of help required. I would often place lighting in a scene and turn it on with daylight settings, can't seem to do this now. Is there a new setting somewhere. Thanks
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24
Richard wrote:
Bercan wrote:
Also, Ray tracing funtionality is currently limited to owners of RTX cards only - we understood that our users might not have this (yet) so instead of using raytracing we drastically improved other areas in Twinmotion (photoscanned library assets, improved Global Illumination, Textures, Reflection probes etc.) which leads to the same/similar goal: achieving photorealism.
I spent many hundreds of dollars on an RTX card last year in anticipation of the Twinmotion release, which was supposed to have been released last year. Now it seems I wasted my money.

I wouldn't so much look at is as a waste of money, per se, rather than as an investment in a kind of technology where pretty much all of Graphics/Video Card technology seems to be headed anyway.
Both the major players in the GPU space (NVIDIA and AMD) in addition to other non-traditional GPU players like Intel and even Apple have talked big game of investing development resources into the future of Ray-tracing technology not just for rendering and graphics production, but the general computing power of GPU cores that nowadays go beyond just graphics and video.

So I personally believe it's just a matter of time before other players in the field (i.e software developers, including GS themselves) follow suit and take advantage of the technology that will be available.......once its fully mature and ready.

( I mean, it wasn't that long ago when I thought that having more than one graphics card in your machine was overkill and some ways a waste of money, but nowadays it would be unthinkable for me to imagine assembling a new workstation and thinking of putting in only one Video card.)

However, your (unfortunately, sad) story reminds me of a term I used to hear some eons not too long ago in another lifetime that came with a sad cautionary tale.....

Vaporware.

For those not aware, 'vaporware' is basically just an industry term for a sales pitch that typically software companies would traffic heavily in, .....ostensibly to get buyers to invest in an as-yet not released version of this wonder-version software they were developing, which would revolutionize everything and change the way you work,..... and the whole dang world along with it.
Just as long as you paid a little premium upfront for the benefit of being a (glorified) beta-tester of sorts (aka.......a 'sucker'.....or a 'mark'.... as the technical terms go.), of a (very buggy) test version, and some more on top of that for the privilege of getting first dibs and more perks once this magic software was actually released.

....Which,.....you don't need me to tell you,.....never ever actually saw the light of day.
At least not in the form it was promised in such lavish terms.

As more questions arose, more excuses and stories followed, or, for the really imaginative and brave among the software development kin,....more fantastical promises of even newer amazing features as yet unannounced (with convincing video demos ).

At the end of the day when the whole game was revealed to be a con and that they were never actually close to realizing any of their promises, the people behind the whole scheme would go 'Poof!' with all the "investments" leaving nothing but a trail of disappointment and seething anger.

I'm not at all suggesting that this is what happened her,e or what EpicGames did (or were trying to do), but the whole experience was sadly very reminiscent for me for a bunch of start-up offshoot software tests from back in the mid 2000's to the mid 2010's.
The cautionary warning then was to not ever invest in actual software that you hadn't actually seen or tested for yourself.
Vaporware.

I guess the silver lining here is that neither the Twinmotion makers nor Graphisoft ever really extracted an actual dollar from anyone other than what they were already spending anyway (on the ArchiCAD license or a graphics card upgrade), so in that sense it's not really a "con" in the traditional sense.

But understandably the residual disappointment you feel doesn't know the difference between the two.

I don't believe your RTX investment is a waste - as hard as it may be for you to want to believe that now.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
rjwilden wrote:
Having used TM 2020 for a bit now, am finding it very buggy, crashes often, selection tricky , and lighting and textures settings all seem to produce a different result than what I was use too in the previous version
Also a bit of help required. I would often place lighting in a scene and turn it on with daylight settings, can't seem to do this now. Is there a new setting somewhere. Thanks
Hi Richard,

Thank you for sharing the issue and I am very sorry about the bad experience!

About the crash, unfortunately, this is beyond our control. I would suggest contacting Epic Games support first to ask their opinion about this crash. Here is the Twinmotion's support website: https://twinmotionhelp.epicgames.com/s/

I can see that there are many people reporting about this issue already, so it seems like we are having a bumpy start with Twinmotion 2020! I hope that Epic Games can deliver an answer soon for this issue!

For your question about lighting turn on with Daylight Settings, it seems like the toggle for Day Cycle has been removed somehow. There are many changes in the Light objects on Twinmotion 2020, I'm not sure whether this is one of the changes or not. Again, I suggest contacting Twinmotion support from the above website for further support regarding this question.

Once again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience that the issue is causing! Thank you very much for your understanding! I wish you a great day, and as always, stay safe!

Best regards.
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

RandyC
Advocate
Assets available from Megascans you will have to be on the Unreal Unlimited plan in order to
download -- Twinmotion users are allowed as per attachment
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
Lingwisyer
Guru
RandyC wrote:
Assets available from Megascans you will have to be on the Unreal Unlimited plan in order to
download -- Twinmotion users are allowed as per attachment

I can access all of the Megascans assets that are on the UE Marketplace for free with a basic Epic account.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
not using the direct link drastically reduces crashes. And if set up right it's almost as fast to just import fbx files
rjwilden
Booster
Yes have already discovered that brining in the mesh as a fbx reduces the crashes to a manageable level.
However not having direct link with the building model would be a drawback. How do you update the model if using fbx
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24
Lucian
Contributor
Hey guys!
I don't know if you thought about it but.... it seems for me that TM2020 is just available for free for 1 year for ArchiCAD 23 users and old users of TM by the end of it we have to pay up.

It's a catch here? I don't have any code of product, serial number or anything to know if the year has passed i will still have TM2020 free of charge. And i mean by this if: i`m in year 2021 and i have to reinstall my TM2020 how does it know i have been using it in 2020 with AC23? I`m to sceptical?

I think it's an opportunity to buy it now for a low price then the next year for a higher one. I'm not committed to the program yet, it seems just a marketing bait either way.
Architect
Certified PassiveHouse Designer
Jp1138
Expert
Lucian wrote:
Hey guys!
I don't know if you thought about it but.... it seems for me that TM2020 is just available for free for 1 year for ArchiCAD 23 users and old users of TM by the end of it we have to pay up.

It's a catch here? I don't have any code of product, serial number or anything to know if the year has passed i will still have TM2020 free of charge. And i mean by this if: i`m in year 2021 and i have to reinstall my TM2020 how does it know i have been using it in 2020 with AC23? I`m to sceptical?

I think it's an opportunity to buy it now for a low price then the next year for a higher one. I'm not committed to the program yet, it seems just a marketing bait either way.
At least for the 2019 version it said it was free forever. I suppose you could stay in 2020 too, but I have not read the small print.
ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10
Carstenem
Expert
Bricklyne wrote:

This is something that most architects will be able to easily dump onto an intern to learn for a couple of days and save themselves (or their clients) those third party high cost rendering fees, so why not?
Sorry but this shows how little you know about 3D visualisation created by a digital artist. Bit insulting too I might say.

You are welcome to google CGI's with TM or Lumion and you will see that 80% of your search result will be at the most average CGI images, many below standards. Do you want to know why? Because of the exact same thinking as you do NO Software can produce excellent looking images without knowledge of a 3D Visual Artist expert. There are hundreds of bad looking images out there done in vray.

Cheers Carsten
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com
https://www.youtube.com/asmtechbase

AC 3 to 26 -Windows 7 - 24GB - 8core 4.4Ghz