Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Twinmotion in Archicad 26

joelsdg
Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

I've only been using AC26 for a week or so, on a single project but I can't find any information on how/if Twinmotion is actually supported in Archicad 26.

I know there's some new feature for an app called Enscape (or something like that) but it requires yet ANOTHER SUBSCRIPTION purchase.  I'm not interested in trying to learn another software that may or may not be supported in future versions of Archicad.  I'm just starting to like Twinmotion.

I've read it mentioned in the sales brochures/postings, but I don't see any Datasmith or Direct Link updates that appear to work with AC26.

Hopefully, I'm just overlooking something, can anyone help or shed some light on this?

Joel

AC 6.5-26; macOS Ventura; 2019 MacBook Pro 2.4gHz, i9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

If you "must" use Twinmotion with Archicad 26 right now, I would suggest exporting to Sketchup format from Archicad's 3D window. Then, you could import that into TM. If you were to update your Archicad model, resave it to SKP with the same name, and in Twinmotion, refresh the import. Your material assignments previously done in Twinmotion will stick.

Unfortunately the options are limited. Not only because we need to wait on a translator from Epic, but also because Graphisoft has chosen not to develop their own FBX export plugin, like "every. other. major.  3D program" does. All lobbying in the past year to Graphisoft in this regard has fallen on deaf ears as they ignore our requests, and in some cases, challenge us as to why we need this or that, when it is obvious. 

Good luck!

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

View solution in original post

64 REPLIES 64

I don’t think the Datasmith plug-in is available for Archicad 26 yet. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

Thanks for the info, Lee. I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out.  I know Graphisoft can't say when Epic Games will release a plugin, but it would be nice to know "if" there's one coming.  

Your post did make me do a quick "twinmotion" search in Archicad Help in the AC26 app, and it only mentions:

"Save the Archicad model to Twinmotion, using the Save As… Twinmotion (.tma) command from the 3D window".

The problem is, that file format isn't an option from Save As... in the 3D window.  I can only assume it will be in a future release of AC26, and this will be our option for working with Twinmotion.  I'm guessing, of course.

Thanks for the help,

Joel

Solution

If you "must" use Twinmotion with Archicad 26 right now, I would suggest exporting to Sketchup format from Archicad's 3D window. Then, you could import that into TM. If you were to update your Archicad model, resave it to SKP with the same name, and in Twinmotion, refresh the import. Your material assignments previously done in Twinmotion will stick.

Unfortunately the options are limited. Not only because we need to wait on a translator from Epic, but also because Graphisoft has chosen not to develop their own FBX export plugin, like "every. other. major.  3D program" does. All lobbying in the past year to Graphisoft in this regard has fallen on deaf ears as they ignore our requests, and in some cases, challenge us as to why we need this or that, when it is obvious. 

Good luck!

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx

Thanks for the workaround, Rex.  I couldn't agree with you more on your other points.

Hi joelsdg

I read on the twinmotio website that the release is scheduled for late summer, early autumn of this year….

https://twinmotionhelp.epicgames.com/s/question/0D54z00007p4PF0CAM/hello-there-is-a-direct-link-avai...

Fabio

Thanks, Fabio.  This is welcome news, thank you very much for finding it.  I am humbled by the helpful members here today. Thanks.

Joel

Sorry to be THIS guy... But summer/autum... where? Why can't ppl talk in months and days? This is worse than pregnant women talking in weeks with us.

Grapisoft stoped hearing it's costumers about 4 versions ago. 
And all points out that they are heading to "subscription only"/hostage situation with their clients. 
Even LBP and Param-O requires SSA/Archiplus subscription... They want us to PAY EXTRA to fix the smallest and lamest object library in the category... for them.
I am already heading out. Stoped all subscriptions, canceled any upgrade plans, no training for any partner/trainee/etc and currently studing my choices in the field. 

I'm also really tired of the "Structural" and "MEP" features that highlight the updates also. It's ARCHI-CAD, not STRUCTURE-CAD or MECHANICAL-CAD. We need better ARCHITECTURAL tools. The last three upgrades have been s**t!

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx