Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Document & Visualize forum

Twinmotion in Archicad 26

joelsdg
Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

I've only been using AC26 for a week or so, on a single project but I can't find any information on how/if Twinmotion is actually supported in Archicad 26.

I know there's some new feature for an app called Enscape (or something like that) but it requires yet ANOTHER SUBSCRIPTION purchase.  I'm not interested in trying to learn another software that may or may not be supported in future versions of Archicad.  I'm just starting to like Twinmotion.

I've read it mentioned in the sales brochures/postings, but I don't see any Datasmith or Direct Link updates that appear to work with AC26.

Hopefully, I'm just overlooking something, can anyone help or shed some light on this?

Joel

AC 6.5-26; macOS Monterey; 2019 MacBook Pro 2.4gHz, i9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Solution
Rex Maximilian
Advisor

If you "must" use Twinmotion with Archicad 26 right now, I would suggest exporting to Sketchup format from Archicad's 3D window. Then, you could import that into TM. If you were to update your Archicad model, resave it to SKP with the same name, and in Twinmotion, refresh the import. Your material assignments previously done in Twinmotion will stick.

Unfortunately the options are limited. Not only because we need to wait on a translator from Epic, but also because Graphisoft has chosen not to develop their own FBX export plugin, like "every. other. major.  3D program" does. All lobbying in the past year to Graphisoft in this regard has fallen on deaf ears as they ignore our requests, and in some cases, challenge us as to why we need this or that, when it is obvious. 

Good luck!

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 25 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52

Well, I'll ignore your insult calling me stupid; and will simply say you're not grasping what I'm talking about and what's going on.

We know GS didn't develop the FBX exporter used by Twinmotion. The fact that Epic changed their process and format for importation created a situation that "does" fall on Graphisoft... and that is to fill the void of an exporter to the most common 3D assets and interchange format in use today for a multitude of purposes, which includes Twinmotion as a subset of that. As for a lack of response from the moderators here (and I speak of the ones with the GS affiliation, not you; and sorry if that wasn't clear), it is obvious they are not forthcoming with information on why GS isn't developing their own FBX exporter... there has been no direction or road map shared... at all. They are affiliated with GS and there are many GS employees on here who could answer that question. But they always deflect the general question of FBX exportation to one solely about Twinmotion and passing the buck.

I'm disappointed as you are a frequent and respected poster here that you resorted to a silly insult instead of tactfully responding... That is on you.

Not meant personally, just a comment on a general view that making up "conspiracy theories" about not getting information for what you consider a very important feature (which I agree on) will not force GS to answer.

GS Moderators and employees either don't know, or know but cannot share.

Also there are the other options where GS has decided not to spend work on it, is deciding how to work on it, or is working on it and decided not to share that they are.

---

My guesses on this item are that:

• GS Moderators have no information on exporter or roadmap.
  • GS Employees that read the forum don't know either.
  • GS is evaluating if working on the FBX export will bring any benefits.
    • The main benefit is that AC users don't need to wait for TM to update their plugin, which is the main issue affecting us right now.

---

Based on how the 26 Beta went my guess is that GS is working on a lot of fixes for 26 and recalibrating their priorities for 27/forward based on the recent backlash.

Hopefully based on the TM-RVT news that they prioritize this higher since this means that the TM Plugin or the macOS version will not be a priority for Epic.

---

I don't mind that you keep bringing this issue up on almost all topics that touch rendering since I do the same with Folders, New Attribute Manager, SAM/SAF. FWIW GS has never shared a roadmap and what Huw has shared publicly is basically Technical-Marketing-Word-Salad so if they share a more specific one it wouldn't surprise me that FBX Export is not on it.

As a final though Vectorworks can export to FBX so they just can call their sister company and negotiate some help.

eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
Another of the forum moderators.
Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08
Puerto Rico, BVI, Miami

Vectorworks 2023

Eduardo Rolon

Heard that direct link for 26 might be coming out tomorrow.

eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08
Puerto Rico, BVI, Miami

Vectorworks 2023

Eduardo, where did you see that? I sure hope you're right.

AC 6.5-26; macOS Monterey; 2019 MacBook Pro 2.4gHz, i9

Can't say, though originally the contact was informed that Datasmith was going to be delayed to next year. So hoping that the second message is true.

Also I think that GS confirmed that FBX export will be back during the QA for the current marketing presentations.

eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08
Puerto Rico, BVI, Miami

Vectorworks 2023

Lee Hankins
Advisor

It’s about time. These add-ons, like the NBS Chorus add-on should all be available at launch. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - ARCHICAD 26UKI Intel 4019 and Apple Silicon
macOS Ventura (13.0.1)

I think with Epic's partnering up with Autodesk (Twinmotion + Revit) and Graphisoft forming an partnership with Enscape, this may be what we can expect in the delayed add-ons for going into Twinmotion from future ArchiCADs. That is, unless GS can finally do the right thing and develop an FBX export add-on, which would make waiting for a direct link a moot point; that is unless you wanted to use it in the Direct Link sense. I've found that to be a troublesome method in the past and was finally talked out of it by the Twinmotion FB group!

IIRC TM was developed by Abvent and sold to Epic which could be argued that GS missed on the opportunity twice. First by buying TM from Abvent, second by not locking down the original partnership. Adesk partnership with TM is what I would have done in their position to screwup GS.

Revit is windows only as are Lumion and Enscape (though Enscape has macOS beta) so partnering with the only one that has macOS version takes the option of GS offering it to all of their user base as a perk.

/start of rant

One of the obvious selling points of AC is having support for both OSes but it looks like they can't use, wont use, or understand the strategic advantage they have, specially now that you cannot run windows on Apple Silicon (why I keep a 2019 mactel to run Revit).

• So GS lost the "first CAD/BIM to support Apple Silicon" that went to VW. Still it doesn't have it so they lost their "best BIM for macOS publicity" which gets worse when they keep missing on new macOS compatibility
  • They lost the existing partnership with the only multi-platform real time render.
  • BIMx (which could minimize the loss of TM) is MIA and has languished for the last +5 years since it could have been what Lumion, Enscape and TM are now. Also nobody understand the pricing options or at least I don't.
  • Thankfully they updated the Rhino Connection before Adesk announced theirs, but I think this was dumb luck on GS. Also McNeel will never sell to Adesk so we should have Rhino for a while yet.
  • The only other strategic selling point is BimCloud Basic which as a free option was? years ahead of anything in Adesk side but all the development for that one now goes to the paid version so that advantage is almost gone.

----

If GS strategy is to copy Revit by offering full Structural and MEP integration, using the same pricing strategy, and never has current macOS support then why as an architect should I keep using the Revit Clone instead of the real version?

end of rant//

----

PS. Native VW runs slower than non Native AC in the same hardware so the GS Dev who still keeps pushing for AC to be as fast as possible and who Beta testers hate when he closes a BUG by writing that i cannot be fixed until we figure out how to not slow AC down should keep doing it. I will still disagree that pushing out an incomplete version is not a good idea but that is another rant.

eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08
Puerto Rico, BVI, Miami

Vectorworks 2023

Hi Eduardo,

Just FYI, I have Revit running under a Parallels VM in Windows 11 on a M1 Mac. It seems to be fine at the moment.

The loss of Twinmotion partnership with Archicad over to Revit is a massive blow. The talk of a partnership with Enscape is of no use to us Mac users. All very disappointing.

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - ARCHICAD 26UKI Intel 4019 and Apple Silicon
macOS Ventura (13.0.1)

Time to google, though I prefer VMWare Fusion over Parallels.

eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08
Puerto Rico, BVI, Miami

Vectorworks 2023

I've used Parallels many moons ago (pre MacTel), but have read many glowing reviews of the performance of Windows apps on Parallels on M1 chipsets. The main takeaway is that there was zero noticeable lag in gaming software, or any CPU/GPU intensive software, and in most cases, out-performed most Windows laptops they test Parallels against.

I'll be buying at testing it out on various apps.

Jp1138
Expert

Well, they just said in the Q&A session that fbx export is coming very soon 😃

ARCHICAD 26 SPA
Windows 10

I'll take that with a grain of salt. As much as they expounded on the importance of this very forum, why wasn't something said here before with the active chatting on the subject.

I hope it's true.

And, I am sooooooooo glad they didn't shirk the question. I stayed up til 3am (Hawaii Time) to watch the Live feed and ask it. Thanks to all who liked the question putting it at the top of their queue.

Fingers crossed!

Nardo99
Booster

The plugin is available as of today. I am downloading it now. Will report back if there are any issues. 

Step one finally checked!
Now for FBX export (for 3D exportations outside of TM).

I think that is on Autodesk, since FBX it's their proprietary file format. Something tells me that Autodesk is not too keen on letting Archicad use this format. 

Whit all of the other file format available like, 3ds, Obj, etc. What makes FBX a better option? Just asking since I have not used FBX to date. 

Archicad exports DWG, 3D Studio and Revit. All three are Autodesk products. So I wouldn't think that is an issue. They've just been shortsighted on this... but they said they are now developing it for use "very" soon. We shall see.

Thank you. I did a quick google search and I see why it would be useful as it appears to be the standard in VR application as you noted.

I know this probably does not solve your issues but Autodesk makes an FBX converter (its pretty old at this point) that conversts OBJ or 3DS to FBX. Probably a long shot but I figured I would say something 

Thanks for your proactive reply with the converter app suggestion. I have tried it fairly recently and it doesn't do well at all. Basically you are stuck with the quality of the non-FBX file before its conversion. A "Garbage in, garbage out" situation.

I figured this would be the situation. I hope that the FBX export is enabled soon. By the way, your work is impressive. 

Start a new conversation!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!