Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Twinmotion in Archicad 26

joelsdg
Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

I've only been using AC26 for a week or so, on a single project but I can't find any information on how/if Twinmotion is actually supported in Archicad 26.

I know there's some new feature for an app called Enscape (or something like that) but it requires yet ANOTHER SUBSCRIPTION purchase.  I'm not interested in trying to learn another software that may or may not be supported in future versions of Archicad.  I'm just starting to like Twinmotion.

I've read it mentioned in the sales brochures/postings, but I don't see any Datasmith or Direct Link updates that appear to work with AC26.

Hopefully, I'm just overlooking something, can anyone help or shed some light on this?

Joel

AC 6.5-26; macOS Ventura; 2019 MacBook Pro 2.4gHz, i9
64 REPLIES 64

you can save your Archicad 26 model into a Archicad 25 model. this is the best solution to save your work and work with twinmotion

Loreno, 

I realize this is an option, but it's not the one I prefer.  AC26 works better for me on enough levels that I've started switching AC25 projects to AC26 when possible.  But projects that are in, or near Construction Documents, are going to remain in AC25 if I need to continue to use Twinmotion.

With projects we've brought into AC26, we're just not using Twinmotion at this time, which is terribly disappointing.

Joel

Eduardo Rolon

Heard that direct link for 26 might be coming out tomorrow.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

It’s about time. These add-ons, like the NBS Chorus add-on should all be available at launch. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

I think with Epic's partnering up with Autodesk (Twinmotion + Revit) and Graphisoft forming an partnership with Enscape, this may be what we can expect in the delayed add-ons for going into Twinmotion from future ArchiCADs. That is, unless GS can finally do the right thing and develop an FBX export add-on, which would make waiting for a direct link a moot point; that is unless you wanted to use it in the Direct Link sense. I've found that to be a troublesome method in the past and was finally talked out of it by the Twinmotion FB group!

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

IIRC TM was developed by Abvent and sold to Epic which could be argued that GS missed on the opportunity twice. First by buying TM from Abvent, second by not locking down the original partnership. Adesk partnership with TM is what I would have done in their position to screwup GS.

Revit is windows only as are Lumion and Enscape (though Enscape has macOS beta) so partnering with the only one that has macOS version takes the option of GS offering it to all of their user base as a perk.

/start of rant

One of the obvious selling points of AC is having support for both OSes but it looks like they can't use, wont use, or understand the strategic advantage they have, specially now that you cannot run windows on Apple Silicon (why I keep a 2019 mactel to run Revit).

• So GS lost the "first CAD/BIM to support Apple Silicon" that went to VW. Still it doesn't have it so they lost their "best BIM for macOS publicity" which gets worse when they keep missing on new macOS compatibility
  • They lost the existing partnership with the only multi-platform real time render.
  • BIMx (which could minimize the loss of TM) is MIA and has languished for the last +5 years since it could have been what Lumion, Enscape and TM are now. Also nobody understand the pricing options or at least I don't.
  • Thankfully they updated the Rhino Connection before Adesk announced theirs, but I think this was dumb luck on GS. Also McNeel will never sell to Adesk so we should have Rhino for a while yet.
  • The only other strategic selling point is BimCloud Basic which as a free option was? years ahead of anything in Adesk side but all the development for that one now goes to the paid version so that advantage is almost gone.

----

If GS strategy is to copy Revit by offering full Structural and MEP integration, using the same pricing strategy, and never has current macOS support then why as an architect should I keep using the Revit Clone instead of the real version?

end of rant//

----

PS. Native VW runs slower than non Native AC in the same hardware so the GS Dev who still keeps pushing for AC to be as fast as possible and who Beta testers hate when he closes a BUG by writing that i cannot be fixed until we figure out how to not slow AC down should keep doing it. I will still disagree that pushing out an incomplete version is not a good idea but that is another rant.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Hi Eduardo,

Just FYI, I have Revit running under a Parallels VM in Windows 11 on a M1 Mac. It seems to be fine at the moment.

The loss of Twinmotion partnership with Archicad over to Revit is a massive blow. The talk of a partnership with Enscape is of no use to us Mac users. All very disappointing.

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

Time to google, though I prefer VMWare Fusion over Parallels.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Jp1138
Expert

Well, they just said in the Q&A session that fbx export is coming very soon 😃

ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10

Eduardo, where did you see that? I sure hope you're right.