Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Twinmotion in Archicad 26

joelsdg
Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

I've only been using AC26 for a week or so, on a single project but I can't find any information on how/if Twinmotion is actually supported in Archicad 26.

I know there's some new feature for an app called Enscape (or something like that) but it requires yet ANOTHER SUBSCRIPTION purchase.  I'm not interested in trying to learn another software that may or may not be supported in future versions of Archicad.  I'm just starting to like Twinmotion.

I've read it mentioned in the sales brochures/postings, but I don't see any Datasmith or Direct Link updates that appear to work with AC26.

Hopefully, I'm just overlooking something, can anyone help or shed some light on this?

Joel

AC 6.5-26; macOS Ventura; 2019 MacBook Pro 2.4gHz, i9
64 REPLIES 64

My solution of using SketchUp was "before" the data smith exporter was available. Of course now you would use datasmith. However, I would still discourage use of Direct Link and simply save out .datasmith format and import manually into Twinmotion.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

Thanks Rex,

times and solutions are changing.. so it looks like the direct link behaves now as intended? 

I have directlink up and running ans it seems to work flawless on first sight but I just started with it all. Got my model with lighting etc. in TM.

What advantages brings the use of the export/import datasmith file?  

Andries MIXD
MacBook pro 16 inch. 2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 Gb, Archicad 26-27

The issue with using a DirectLink is that you are "always" tied to Archicad because:

a) You have to have Archicad running at the same time as TM, and on the same machine to do the update for the "direct link" function to behave in that facility, instead of working on the model, exporting out a file, and updating at a later time, or on a different machine. I usually run Archicad on my 27" iMac and Twinmotion on my 16" M1 Max Laptop (which has all resources freed up for optimum TM performance).

b) You cannot work on the model in a different (lower or higher) version of Archicad unless the DirectLink add-on is made for that app... for instance, I. have the ARM version of Archicad 26 on my laptop, and the TM plugin does not work on that version, so I have to use the MacTel versions (which is on a another machine).

c) There is a LOT more going on "under the hood" when you're using Direct Link to always keep it updated. Early when I used this method, it failed at times, or sometimes the link had to be completely reestablished.

Aside from the "cool" dynamic feature of Direct Link keeping the TM model update as you work in Archicad, there's not really any other function that is useful enough to warrant using D.L.

It's just safer to save out the .datasmith file  from Archicad (or even SketchUp as that is also compatible right away with new ArchiCADs) for maximum compatibility and reliability; then import. The save out from Archicad again when changes are made and "refresh" the imported datasmith file in TM. It keeps all of the transformations and material assignment with each refresh just as the Direct Link does.

Having said all that, the choice is ultimately yours, so with the knowledge I'm sure you'll make the best decision for your workflow.

Good luck!

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

I've found the direct link to work flawlessly, but I recognize the situations that Rex gives with two machines, the Apple ARM version vs Intel, etc etc.

On my Intel Mac, I launch Archicad with the project file, then launch TwinMotion with the imported/linked project and enjoy the instant update with no extra menu commands and files on my part as I fix issues in the model and have those appear quickly in TwinMotion.

Once the model is good enough, I don't bother launching Archicad anymore... the import in TwinMotion shows as 'broken' ...but if I need to update something, I just close TwinMotion, and start from the top - launching Archicad with the project, then Twinmotion.

I have a lot of complaints about TwinMotion itself, but not about this aspect of the workflow.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Thanks a lot for your comprehensive answers!  This I will definitely use.

kind regards

Andries MIXD
MacBook pro 16 inch. 2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 Gb, Archicad 26-27