Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Twinmotion in Archicad 26

joelsdg
Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

I've only been using AC26 for a week or so, on a single project but I can't find any information on how/if Twinmotion is actually supported in Archicad 26.

I know there's some new feature for an app called Enscape (or something like that) but it requires yet ANOTHER SUBSCRIPTION purchase.  I'm not interested in trying to learn another software that may or may not be supported in future versions of Archicad.  I'm just starting to like Twinmotion.

I've read it mentioned in the sales brochures/postings, but I don't see any Datasmith or Direct Link updates that appear to work with AC26.

Hopefully, I'm just overlooking something, can anyone help or shed some light on this?

Joel

AC 6.5-26; macOS Ventura; 2019 MacBook Pro 2.4gHz, i9
64 REPLIES 64

Thank you Rex. I have not played with it too much, but I will try your suggestion. 

I usually have multiple instances of Archicad open at once and about 20 tabs on chrome running (5 Archicad files open at this time for example) - I need to learn how to be more efficient with my computer resources. 

Under normal circumstances I have multiple ArchiCADs running and a good bit of other apps. But when I do processor or GPU intensive tasks, like video editing or Real-Time 3D (as in Twinmotion), then I shut down everything to free up all resources for those apps. It makes a difference. Good luck!

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
Jose Gradoli
Booster

I think Direct Link is not as reliable as it was before the datasmith connection.

www.formaarquitectura.com
ARCHICAD 25 SPA
genarch
Enthusiast

Not sure how many have attempted to use the Datasmith plug-in for AC26 but it doesn't work for me. From the 3D window I did a Save As... Datasmith but when I imported it into TwinMotion there was nothing to be found. The TM statistics showed no polygons at all. So then I saved the same model as AC25, opened it in AC25 and did the same Save As... Datasmith operation. This time, when I imported into TwinMotion the model geometry showed up as expected. 
Has anyone successfully used the Datasmith plug-in for AC 26?

Mac OSX 11.6.8

AC26, Artlantis 2020, TwinMotion

iMac Pro 2017 / 8-core 3.2 GHz / 32GB RAM

I will couch my comments with the caveat that I don't use TM heavily.  

I use the Direct Link itself, I don't Save As a Datasmith file.  So my workflow it is:

Open Archicad file 

Open Epic Game Launcher

Open Archicad model in 3D window

Launch Twinmotion

In Twinmotion, click Import.  Twinmotion should automatically open a window that locates the open Archicad file.

Click Import, then WAIT. 

Once I have a successful Direct Link, I can adjust the TM model and Save it as a TM file.

So next time I need to open that previously used TM file, I follow all of the previous steps above except at the Import step, in TM I go to the Open pulldown (not Open Recent) and locate the previously save TM file that goes with the open Archicad project that already has it's 3D window open.

I can't say this is 100% reliable, but it's a system I've worked out and it's been reliable for me.  Do with it what you will.

Joel

I was heavily influenced by the Twinmotion Facebook group members two or three years ago to forego direct link for standard export and import methods. Once I went to that method I never went back. It's a tried and true method for a reason. Using the direct-link process has too many wrinkles and when something goes wrong, that's it, You have to start with a new link.

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
genarch
Enthusiast

Now that I'm exporting a Datasmith file rather than using DirectLink, has anyone had the issue of the model origin changing? I created a model, imported into TM and set up all the scenes and images, then I made some updates to the model in Archicad and re-saved the Datasmith file but when I imported back to TM the model origin has changed so all my plants and saved views are in the wrong place! This is killing me.

Mac OSX 11.6.8

AC26, Artlantis 2020, TwinMotion

iMac Pro 2017 / 8-core 3.2 GHz / 32GB RAM

I've never had that happen unless you move it in Archicad. Strange anomaly.

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
MIXD
Contributor

Hi Joel, I searched for the same and de solution from Rex via Sketchup seems a walk to far around in the woods.. just install Twin Motion and the Datasmith directlink add-on. https://www.twinmotion.com/plugins/archicad

After unzipping the add-on, 4 add-on's appear. Put the right one in the add-on folder.

Add the right one (v26) in your add-on manager in Archicad. Then go to Window/Palettes/ and activate 'Datasmith'

A pallet with 'direct link' and 'export' function towards Twin Motion will appear after restarting Archicad. Have it not tested directlink jet because TM is installing still..

Good luck.

Andries MIXD
MacBook pro 16 inch. 2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 Gb, Archicad 26-27

Thanks, MIXD, 

Your process is the one I've been using.  As I've mentioned, I don't use ™ heavily, but the Datasmith link has worked for me.

I will agree that it can sometimes be fickle and not work as it should, but to me it has gradually improved with each update to either Twinmotion or the Datasmith plugin.  That is why I had to toy with various workflows to get the sync to work as intended, and I listed in a previous post.

Joel