Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Twinmotion installed on different folder than default

Hi, I have Twinmotion installed on a different folder than the default (on an external drive because of storage reasons) because of this Archicad doesn't see Twinmotion as installed on my Mac.
How do I change the folder that Archicad looks for Twinmotion?
Mac OSX 13.6.4 | AC 26 INT 3001 FULL
3 REPLIES 3
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Achille,

Thank you for the question and I am sorry about the issue!

Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac machine at home in order to test this. On Windows, I tried to install Twinmotion 2020.1 into an external drive. The Direct Link works fine for me.

I'm wondering what do you mean by ARCHICAD doesn't see Twinmotion as installed on Mac? Can you turn off the Mac, upon starting up the machine again make sure that the external drive is connected in advance. Will this help with the issue?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Karl Ottenstein
Achille wrote:
Hi, I have Twinmotion installed on a different folder than the default (on an external drive because of storage reasons) because of this Archicad doesn't see Twinmotion as installed on my Mac.
How do I change the folder that Archicad looks for Twinmotion?
Just did a quick test, and there is an easy workaround ... but, you are right, the Epic Games people hard-coded the path into their add-on, rather than looking for the TwinMotion app in alternate locations.

If you move TwinMotion to a location other than Users>Shared>Epic Games>Twinmotion2020.1>Twinmotion
then you must put a shortcut to the new Twinmotion app at that location. In Finder, option-Command-drag the Twinmotion app to the Twinmotion2020.1 folder to create the shortcut.

There is a sibling Twinmotion_2020.1-CL13672003_exe_files.txt file at that location that you might as well leave there since its tiny.

The only issue I see with this method is that the Epic Games Launcher may not be able to apply updates to Twinmotion as it will be looking at a shortcut vs the app... guess you'd find out the next time an update is available..
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Thanks guys!
Mac OSX 13.6.4 | AC 26 INT 3001 FULL