Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.
SOLVED!

Twinmotion: questions and issues

Anonymous
Not applicable
1. Not all elements import into Twinmotion. Some pieces of walls, moldings, especially custom profiles do not transfer through. For some reason the edge of one of the plies of a roof composite does not show. Any idea why some components don't transfer through?

2. Is there a way to change the settings so that Twinmotion does not arrange elements by materials? For instance, all pine materials from ArchiCAD come through as one layer, and if I want to change the material in Twinmotion of one chair that has that pine material assigned to it, it changes that material throughout the imported project. I'l like to be able to split them up. Is this possible?

Other than those issues, I find Twinmotion relatively easy to work with and you can come out with great renderings and movies fairly quickly.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Steven wrote:
Please send me a PM with the link and I'll send you files.
Hi Steven,

Thank you for the screenshot, this helps a lot!

For the first issue, it doesn't look like there are missing elements, but rather they were not exported properly. My suggestion is to untick the option "Optimize the geometry. This tends to cause problems with the element's geometry when transferring to Twinmotion, therefore we advise to turn it off for a correct export.

For the second issue, it is true that if you select No Merge, elements will be exported to separate layers. I'm not sure if we can delete them, but there might be a way to replace the materials for selected layers.

Let me know if the above suggestion helps you with solving the issue, then we'll see from here if this is what causes the issue. Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
BoldArch
Contributor
Hi Steven,

Can't help on the first issue, but for your second one, the key is in the DirectLink settings when in ArchiCAD.

See below snapshot. Make sure the "Merge" setting is set to "No merge", otherwise it will merge all similar surfaces as you are experiencing.
Nathan B

Bold Architecture

https://boldmackay.com.au/

AC26 4019 INT FULL • Intel i9-9900 3.6GHz • 32 gb ram • Windows 10 Pro • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
AC19-26
Barry Kelly
For the first issue I would look at the Optimisation settings in those synchronisation settings.
I am not sure if it will help but I know there are options in there that affect the way some elements are imported.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Steven,

Thank you for sharing the issue here and I am sorry about the experience!

I have asked our Twinmotion expert whether he had any missing object/element when transferring to Twinmotion, but unfortunately, we have never experienced such issue before. We think that this might be file-related. Therefore, in order to investigate further, I'm wondering if you could share the file with us for a closer look, along with the DirectLink settings you used for exporting?

Let me know here in the thread or via PM, I can get you a special link to securely send the file to us if needed.

Thank you very much! And thank you all for your opinion regarding this topic!

Have a great day to all!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
BoldArch wrote:
Hi Steven,

Can't help on the first issue, but for your second one, the key is in the DirectLink settings when in ArchiCAD.

See below snapshot. Make sure the "Merge" setting is set to "No merge", otherwise it will merge all similar surfaces as you are experiencing.

Twinmotion DirectLink settings.jpg
Thanks Nathan! That works, but it does (expectedly I guess) create a TON of separate layers. Is there a way to merge some of these? Can you delete things as well, or do you just turn them off?
Anonymous
Not applicable
mnguyen wrote:
Hi Steven,

I have asked our Twinmotion expert whether he had any missing object/element when transferring to Twinmotion, but unfortunately, we have never experienced such issue before. We think that this might be file-related. Therefore, in order to investigate further, I'm wondering if you could share the file with us for a closer look, along with the DirectLink settings you used for exporting?

Let me know here in the thread or via PM, I can get you a special link to securely send the file to us if needed.

Have a great day to all!

Best regards,
Minh
Hi Minh. I've attached the settings I'm using. Also, I've attached some views from ArchiCAD. In this specific project, we have complex profiles which create classic columns and crown moulds. You can see the views from Twinmotion, which do not accurately represent the mouldings at all.
Anonymous
Not applicable
More images
Anonymous
Not applicable
mnguyen wrote:
Hi Steven,

Have a great day to all!

Best regards,
Minh
Solution
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Steven wrote:
Hi Steven,

Thank you for the screenshot, this helps a lot!

For the first issue, it doesn't look like there are missing elements, but rather they were not exported properly. My suggestion is to untick the option "Optimize the geometry. This tends to cause problems with the element's geometry when transferring to Twinmotion, therefore we advise to turn it off for a correct export.

For the second issue, it is true that if you select No Merge, elements will be exported to separate layers. I'm not sure if we can delete them, but there might be a way to replace the materials for selected layers.

Let me know if the above suggestion helps you with solving the issue, then we'll see from here if this is what causes the issue. Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
mnguyen wrote:

Minh,

That works! Thanks! Looks great.